Large Croaker Fishing in Chocolate Bayou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Croaker Fishing in Chocolate Bayou

Hey guys I thought I would throw this out there and see if I can get a few tips. I've been fishing chocolate bay/bayou a lot and whenever the fishing is really slow, I'll go to Lutes, get some dead shrimp and go to a couple spots where i can have some fun catching small croaker, occassional drum, etc. If these croaker were just a few inches bigger I could fry em up. If I wanted to employ the same tacticts to catch some larger, eating-size croaker, any suggestions? I know I've read and heard that golden croaker like this are not nearly as common, aside from the "croaker run" in the fall but if I wanted to try and find some of these year-round any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

The fishing has been slow for me in chocolate bay, and with all this wind I've been having to go up the bayou and find some protection. If anyone ever wants to go fish chocolate, feel free to PM me. I fish there every weekend.

Put that croaker on a hook
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

I think with the continued use of croaker as bait has been the undoing of the larger specimens. When the nets are keeping every pinfish of preferred potlicker size, the fish simply don't have a chance to grow. Pretty simple really.

Is there really even a fall croaker run anymore?
      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

If I were looking for large croaker, I would go to the back of Greens Lake up the creek a bit on the oyster reefs. You could find a big flounder too. My neighbor had a "croaker hole" that he fished a lot. It was along the old intercoastal somewhere between Jamaica and Sea Isle.

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
          I think with the continued use of croaker as bait has been the undoing of the larger specimens. When the nets are keeping every pinfish of preferred potlicker size, the fish simply don't have a chance to grow. Pretty simple really.

X2
          Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
          "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
            Put that croaker on a hook
            Hah!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

.................X3.......... i believe the use of croaker has not only hurt the croaker population, but has let to the middle and lower coast going to a 5 fish limit. The upper coast will not be far behind unless something is done now.

Comment

Mark Fisher from TPWD helped me with some graphs and such on the Status of the Atlantic Croaker back in 2011. I should ask him for an update. Anybody interested in the data, the thread is HERE.

JYC
                "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

I agree! whens duck season start in canada BTW
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
                    .................X3.......... i believe the use of croaker has not only hurt the croaker population, but has let to the middle and lower coast going to a 5 fish limit. The upper coast will not be far behind unless something is done now.
                    X2!!!!
                    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Working...
                    X