Boat Title Hassle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Title Hassle

I may pick up a small 14' jon boat from someone who has no title, receipt, etc. Want to make a duck boat out of it but need to get it titled before I do so. Heard this was an extreme hassle. Anyone done it who can give me some tips?
    sigpic

Same type thing with a boat we bought. Nothing wrong with the boat but was unregistered since it sat under the previous owners house and he did not have a bill of sale because some owner before him inherited it. Bottom line is, it took 3 trips to the county and a woman crying to finally get the title. It's a hassle if the past is not well documented in our experience

Comment

Pass on it! Not worth the hassle unless the previous owner can get a title.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
        Pass on it! Not worth the hassle unless the previous owner can get a title.
        yes sir
        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

its not that hard. there was a thread on 2cool on how to do it that made it real simple. No title boats are great to jew down the price on the seller if you cry about having to get a title. I'd search out the thread on how to do it but I'm banned over yonder and can run a search.

Comment

Just use one of your burn handles Gilbert.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
              Lmao!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post

I'm out of them and don't have enough care to make another one. lol.

Comment

It aint that hard-read the TPWD website-unless ya think it's Hot, should not be an issue. Lots of boats have no title (johnboats) since they we on a farm-private property-Brad-Use your FIL and say it was on his ranch-if it had old registration decals, sand em off and paint the sucker.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I think it's about $75-95 to get done-a GW must inspect it-looks for serial number, then runs it to see if stolen. Best if ya have a bill of sale-use Gift form so no sales tax except maybe $10.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

if it isn't hot I cant imagine it being a big deal. I bought an 1980 CJ7 jeep from a guy in 1982 that had been on a S. Texas deer lease with no title ( a lot more to this story). in about 2005 I applied for and was an issued a title on it. they gave me an "Affidavit of Title" and around 3 years later they sent me a regular title.

Like Jerry said, theres thousands of jon boats on farm stock tanks with lost or no titles. I cant see it being harder than getting a title on a car.

Comment

But it IS harder. It's a LOT harder. TPWD is not easy to deal with on this issue. I've gambled on this 3 times. I won once when I was able to find the widow of the last title holder. I lost twice. Those boats went to the recycler for scrap. At any time at my recycle place, they have 2 or 3 perfectly good 10-14 foot jon boats in there getting chopped up for scrap because they have no title. It's a huge deal. If y'all don't want to believe me, go find out for yourselves.
                          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Creative Curative Sandy-just think "Creative Curative". Was the 'widow's name' "John T"??? Ha ha.

Comment

Boat is with original owner...farm tank use...never been resold or anything...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X