Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Ramp for JB Canal Bulkhead

Howdy guys and gals,

We have a place in a JB canal and I am just tired of always having to pull the dogs out of the canal. DO any of you have any experience or advice you would be willing to share? Any do's/dont's or tips from your experience building one. I have been canal cruising lately to get ideas on the best approach to building one of these "floating ramps" for the dogs to attach to the bulkhead, but everyone seems to be doing something different.

One main requirement for me is that it is removable from the bulkhead. Mainly to keep the marine growth off of it, and also to increase the life of it. Not to mention it would get in the way of swimming and boating for me and the neighbors.

Thanks y'all, I'll look forward to your help! Hope to see yall out there this summer.

I'd start with a 2x12 treated with 2x2 perpendicular board "steps" and a floatie on the water end. I don't know how to attach it so you can pull it out. It depends what you have along the bulkhead. I've pulled my share of dogs out of the canals before they went under. Trying to get a big, struggling dog into a boat ain't the easiest thing to do!
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I had the same problem. I built one out of 2 side by side 2x12 with 2x4 cross bars for steps. Bought stainless deck screws at Lowes. Mounted it to the boat house on big galvanized hinges so it will move with the tide and also when folks make wakes in a no wake zone. Just so you know, Very Heavy! I leave mine in the water all the time.

Comment

Working...
      X