Buying a used CC boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used CC boat

Alright guys I'm starting to look into buying a used center console boat. The only boat I've ever owned is my duck boat... So any help/advice would be helpful. What brands should I look at and which should I stay away from both boat and motor wise. I'm looking for an 18' plus boat (prefer 20' - 22') budget will be a Max of $17,500 everything said an done less would be nice tho... Short list of items I want is VHF radio, GPS, depth/fish finder, bimi top, seating for 4+ and a 4 stroke motor... Prefer nothing older than 2003. To be used mainly in east bay with some use in west bay and near shore fishing 2 - 3 people normally.
    Tight Lines and Calm Seas and remember to enjoy life with friends

I personally love boatright boats if you can find a good used one they are tanks run shallow an are built for fishing ,for west bay and the back lakes its hard to beat,I've fished all over west bay all west bay back lakes seadrift an matagorda in 18 boatright powered by 90 tohatsu an never miss a lick floats in 4" gets up in 10" all day. Just my .02 I personally ran a shallow sport for a couple years out in west a lot an have no complaints
    Your a daisy if ya do

Comment

Originally posted by axe View Post
      Alright guys I'm starting to look into buying a used center console boat. The only boat I've ever owned is my duck boat... So any help/advice would be helpful. What brands should I look at and which should I stay away from both boat and motor wise. I'm looking for an 18' plus boat (prefer 20' - 22') budget will be a Max of $17,500 everything said an done less would be nice tho... Short list of items I want is VHF radio, GPS, depth/fish finder, bimi top, seating for 4+ and a 4 stroke motor... Prefer nothing older than 2003. To be used mainly in east bay with some use in west bay and near shore fishing 2 - 3 people normally.
      Look at the classified here on WEA and on 2cool, and other online boat for sale sites. I found and bought a 4 month old "used" Flatscat from a guy in West Columbia. I found the add on the old TFN site. Just so you know axe, the engine is the most important part of the boat purchase. Next would be a sea-worthy hull (no rot with good transom) The accessories you mention are really secondary.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I'll sell you my majek but will run you a little more than that.

Ill keep an eye out for you.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

I've seen some nice rigs on craiglist lately. Be sure to take someone knowledgeable with you to try the rig out concerning the motor and overall condition of the hull. good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.... Is there any particular brands of hull and motor I should stay away from?

Comment

All personal preference my friend. Everyone has had good/bad experiences with identical hulls , so you will get mixed opinions.

Shallow running I'd say majek, haynie, or shoal water..

Motor would be a mercury pro xs in my opinion.

KEEP IT WET..

Comment

What about something like a bay stealth, key west, mako or Kenner with yamaha, Honda, mercury and Suzuki 4 stokes? Thats kind of what ive been lookkng at.. Eat bay is plenty deep and can get rough

Comment

Then majek extreme or the kenner will do you fine. I am sure more people will chime in with their thought on those boats. I don't have any personal experience with those hulls.

KEEP IT WET..

Comment

houston.craigslist.org/boa/4493692597.html
                    My nieghbor is sellin his scout & its amazing condition with a brand new motor, its 17.6ft long with a yammi 115 4stroke! He wants 17k
                    Stay Bowed Up!

Comment

I am a fan of Yamaha...you should shoot Brian Evans of Evans Marine a quick PM and get his opinion on any motor your looking at...year and make etc...offer him a few $ to look at it for you...
                      sigpic

Comment

Talk to Greg Francis about the Yamaha. Sponsor on here and better know as Aqua pimp.

KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Thanks for the help guys... I know its not going to happen this summer still trying to get out of a little debt from a divorce but i will have one by next summer if not sooner... I wish i could be down there for the meeting on the 20th it would be nice to actually make it to a meeting and meet some of yall guys but work and living 3.5 hrs away makes hard...

Comment

I had a Mako Bayshark 241 which turned out to be my favorite boat of all. Great ride and driest boat I ever owned. The hulls for Mako in the late 2000's were Kenner. I sold it to get an aluminum tunnel hull for Sargent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My two cents. Find one with low hours and has plenty of storage and a live well (if you use live bait) that is easily accessible. I run an Explorer 21ft. with a Yamaha 150HP HPDI and it is solid, but the only issue I have is the number of small filters in the motor that have to be replaced after X amount of hours. I like a tunnel v hull for west bay because it can get bumpy cutting cross to the north shoreline and I could not imagine having a flat bottom boat. By the way, I saw a Boston Whaler in front of Sea Isle recently, it looked to be in great shape and I believe he was asking around 17K.
                              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
                              X