That boating incident at Lake Conroe the other day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That boating incident at Lake Conroe the other day

I've been following the news on the horrible and tragic boating accident on Lake Conroe where the young boy and two women were lost.
    I'm trying to envision how this accident happened.
    The incident occurred while still daylight correct? If late in the evening were there no nav lights on the vessels?
    Looking at the brief glimpses of the boats involved the bass boat must of been running extremely fast.
    Both vessels were moving according to the news reports. Pictures of the pleasure boat look like the bass boat struck amidships and went over the pleasure craft! That indicates extreme speed to me.

What's your take on how it happened?

Prayers for the family.
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Prayers for the families. I think it was at night. Both boats may r may not (big pleasure boat) have had running lights on. many lights in the area so it was hard to tell running lights (?) from shore lights. Bass boat was no doubt going fast, prolly too fast to make out the other boats running lights, if they were on. With me so far? Bass boat was coming from tournament and was going so fast at impact that it jumped over the bigger boat. I have not been on Lake Conroe at night, but I have been In the bay way too many to count. Once you get used to th dark, it's nt too hardto see the different colored lights of bouys and boats, but I have to concentrate a bit more. If one has a high speed helmet on (which pro aglers sometimes wear), it could have had an affect on the situation. If one is going fast at night, reflexes and response time decrease many times over, especially if the driver has been up since way before daylight... I think the bass boat saw he other boat at the last minute but couldnt steer around it due to speed. All these factors had to have a hand in this terrible accident. Just MHO...sorry about the auto correct...

Comment

Prayers for the families.
      I do know it happened at 9pm and Officials are trying to find out if the lights were on.

"Authorities with Texas Parks & Wildlife Department authorities are recreating the incident as part of the investigation into what caused the collision.“What you’re seeing right now is the actual reconstruction of the accident on the water,” said Lt. Cade. “Unfortunately one of the vessels was too badly damaged to stay afloat. We had to move the scene to dry land so we could reconstruct the scene here.”
      Investigators said it's possible one of the boats did not have its lights on, but that information was not yet been confirmed. Lt. Cade also said it has not yet been determined if anyone was not wearing a life vest.
      “This is a horrible tragedy,” said Lt. Cade."

Comment

Tragic indeed, but there is no reason to be running at break neck speed as the fishing boat appears to have been doing. They may not be charged, but its pretty clear to me who was responsible for killing 3 people.

Comment

Originally posted by shutout View Post
          Tragic indeed, but there is no reason to be running at break neck speed as the fishing boat appears to have been doing. They may not be charged, but its pretty clear to me who was responsible for killing 3 people.
          Agreed. The operator of the bass boat is at fault.
          If it was truly dark, the man was very wrong for running at such high speed in low visibility, high traffic areas.
          West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Originally posted by shutout View Post
            X2...I do most of my summer fishing at night and ALWAYS travel slowly. It's just not safe to haul azz, for you or others.

Comment

Lake Conroe has a speed limit at night.. Just enough to maintain plane. If the Bass Boat was hauling, he is at fault, lights or no lights. I use to enjoy fishing there at night but would not do it today. People don't follow the laws.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

I just read that there was a drowning today on Conroe. I think this year is going to break a record. It's definitely not a record I want to be a part of. Dad deal all the way around.
                I have an uncontrolable desire to wanna jerk my rod.

Comment

Prayers for the family. That's why I do not get on the water on holiday weekends. Way to many inexperienced boaters on the water that don't know or obey the laws.
                  Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Conroe is rough lately! Yes a 19 year old former ball player drowned.

The guy that was driving bass boat was a local musician. He and his buddy were leaving a fishing tournament and said he didn't see any lights. Came around a bend of the shoreline and ran directily into the pleasure boat. Feel bad for all involved.

My parents have boat on Conroe and we just don't risk running at night.

Comment

Very sad when you go out for pleasure and end-up dead. Prayers sent….
                      Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                      X