reel treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reel treatment?

What do you guys do to keep your reels running smooth. I've tried rising very well and WD-40, but I still have an issue with them getting semi-locked up/stiff. I'm sure a lot of the problem is the fact that I'm working with inexpensive reels, but would appricate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

I spray mine with Reel Magic , wipe it off , blast it with compressed air , wipe it off . The WD 40 may be gunking it up . Reels are plastic and stainless steel . Not a lot to rust . Sounds like you need to break it open and clean it . Lay the parts out in order of disassembly for reassembly and have the schematics at hand . Take IPhone pictures of the innards to help visualize what it should look like assembled .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

X2 on the reel magic.
      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I never use a hose or water to spray the reel. The rod yes. Just take a water wet rag and wipe the reel down real good and be careful of gravity letting water get into all the rotating cracks and open places. Then wipe it down with a dry rag. About every 3rd or 4th trip I'll take some furniture polish or floor wax and wipe the surfaces down with that and then dry rag buff it.
        Be careful getting wax on the line. I also do the rod and rod guides with wax and check for abrasions, especially on the tip eye.
        All my gear is cheap rods and I use the newer models Mitchell 300 spinning reel. Bout 50 bucks.
        If and when the reel drags or gets noisy it gets replaced.
        The one s I have now are 2-3 years old.
        When I surfed fish, I replaced the reel every year.
        The 12# mono or the last 125' I replace about every 3rd use or when it curls or is knicked.
        The one s I have now are 2-3 years old.
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Don't rinse your reels.

Comment

I take mine apart once a year and clean the bearings with gasoline, blow it out with compressed air and repeat the process until they spin smoothly for a long time. Then put one drop of good thin reel oil on them. Use good reel grease on the gears and oil the pivoting points.
            Naturally you have to do this more if you get a lot of salt water on the reels, like putting them in a rod holder when the boat is under way and they get sprayed during the whole trip…
            Be careful taking the bearing retainer ring out. They seem to take a life of their own and jump out if you do not have a good hold on them. Academy and FTU have good lubes
            Last edited by rtoler; November 1, 2014, 09:44 AM.
            Fishwhisperer

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_A View Post
              Don't rinse your reels.
              The stream of water can drive salt into the reel .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I run water on my reels, but no spraying, shake off the excess water and then hit them with a blast of CorrosionX or Tri-flow and let them air dry.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X