Did y'all see Thursday's Chronicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch... I'm assuming you turned around for the beer
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

After all the sheet I lost/almost lost that day I wasn't turning around for nothing LOL. Lets see, I lost 2 drift socks while drifting, a cooler, a moonpie t-shirt, and d@mn near lost a Black Jack LOL. Note to self, never trust a power pole again while doing a marothon wade . Nothing like see your bote starting to drift away on a cold winter day with about an hour left of day light LOL.

AQUA PIMP
      AQUA PIMP......
      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Oh lord! Remember to invest in remote trolling motor... Here boy!!

Comment

After all the sheet I lost/almost lost that day I wasn't turning around for nothing LOL. Lets see, I lost 2 drift socks while drifting, a cooler, a moonpie t-shirt, and d@mn near lost a Black Jack LOL. Note to self, never trust a power pole again while doing a marothon wade . Nothing like see your bote starting to drift away on a cold winter day with about an hour left of day light LOL.
          Stay out of that cheap wine and things like this wouldn't happen.

West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

I remember that day; getting a call from a huffing and puffing Aqua Pimp power wading to catch up to my bote asking me to find somebody with a bote to come get him and the BJ just in case!

And, when I was cleaning out my garage and house after IKE, I found yet another one of those gross "moonpie t-shirts" that was left, so not all were lost @ sea.

I disposed of it the best way I knew.

Comment

Comment

Dunno if I can make the trip to the meeting, but if I can skip class and go fishin' in the mornin', you bet I'll be there with a few buddies too.

Comment

I will be there with the war unit.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                  Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I would pay extra ontop of my license for a permit to be able to walk and gig flounder... with certain months being off limits if thats what they so choose... the heck with banning it permanetly... your taking away a time honored tradition passed down from generation to generation...

Comment

Actually a "tag" for flounder gigging is a good idea!
                      No gigging unless you have one. Sort of like a saltwater "tag".

See y'all at the meeting. Heading over that way now.
                      West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Let me know how it goes... I was not able to make it... Client called and needed to have a meeting... I am going to draft a letter and anyone that wants to digitally sign it I'll include your name etc and on behalf of the club we'll submit one together.

Yall give me a shout later tonight and let me know how it went I'm PM'ing those that said they might go...

Comment

My take from the scope is its going to be either a reduced bag or an increase in the minimum length.

If push really comes to shove then I support a mandantory across the board Flounder permit. All funds go directly to the Flounder re-stocking/hatchery and compliance enforcement.

If I had my way I would choose the species to become a game fish with the exception to be also taken by gig.

With the so called facts presented beforth at the scope, there is no doubt, commercial and anglers take way more flatties than the rec gigger.

My ride, so don't let me become a future outlaw.

Last edited by 2112; November 13, 2008, 04:50 AM.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                          Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

First they gave a presentation of flounder information(biology, harvest, population numbers, overall decline, etc) then opened the floor for recommendations from the audience on what to do.
                            Many opinions expressed. Some okay, a couple were good(IMO).
                            Giggers seemed the majority of the audience.
                            I'd say roughly 40 people were there.
                            Basically they told us a number of issues are affecting flounder.
                            The two I remember were:
                            1.) fishing pressure
                            2.) water temps- warmer water causes poor reproduction.
                            Pressure can be managed somewhat by regulations.
                            Water temp can't do much about.
                            I did ask the hatchery rep how the flounder breeding is progressing. At this time they are close to fiquring it out but have only reproduced on a tiny scale.
                            Money for new hatchery is a problem. Will be several years before re-stocking will be viable.
                            Audience was definitely pro gigging.
                            Got the impression gigging won't be touched.
                            I did get the impression that minimum size will be increased to 16inch. This is the age that allows the fish to reproduce once or twice before being harvested. They had some data/numbers that showed this would be helpful.
                            Possiblity limits may be reduced. There was some discussion this would be a last resort because they would have to cut to 1 or 2 fish limit to see any improvement.
                            Possiblity there might be a "closed season" or certain geographical areas closed during fall(peak) run.
                            The idea of a "flounder tag" was mentioned. A few voiced the opinion they were in favor of this. No one spoke against it.
                            All the data they presented showed a marked decline in flounder populations in all areas of the Texas coast. Kind of scary.
                            This is very early in the regulation re-write process but the rules ARE gonna get changed.

Comment

Thanks for the info Moonpie. I do my part for conservation by releasing everything I catch. EVERYTHING.
                              I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Thanks for the info Moon... Glad yall were able to make it... I got a hold of AP around 5:00 and was just getting out of a meeting no way I'd make it down there in time. I'm glad we were well represented!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X