Tough Weekend in West Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Weekend in West Bay

Me and a buddy fished hard Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning... scratched out 1 dang trout that went about 17".

Fished around Confederate Reef mostly with pretty much everything we could throw... mostly plastics. Conditions were decent but I just couldn't seem to locate active bait fish. Tough going for me this weekend.

Memo to self: It's difficult to run back through Carancahua Cut from the ICW at low tide. We came back that way running to JB after fishing some marsh drains...I hit an old crab trap right before I ran a ground. Had to get out and untangle the mess then got lucky and was able to push off the bottom to deeper water. Took both of us to get it unstuck and it made for a chilly ride back to dock. No damage but sure made for an interesting morning.

I've heard is said that when you're fishing... you're either catching or you're learning. Well I did a bunch of learning this past weekend.

-FlyPelican

WOW. At least you made it back safe and didn't lose your lower unit or prop. Lord Bless.
    robert
    And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

My old guide friend from Jamaica Beach used to tell me to boat fish from the causeway( ie. deers islands, confederate, greens cut area) and work towards caranchua and towards the pass as warmer weather came along. I keep thinking and planning trips over that way and chocolate, but there's so many fish ten minutes from the house.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
        My old guide friend from Jamaica Beach used to tell me to boat fish from the causeway( ie. deers islands, confederate, greens cut area) and work towards caranchua and towards the pass as warmer weather came along. I keep thinking and planning trips over that way and chocolate, but there's so many fish ten minutes from the house.
        All you have to do is get in the boat with me -you know that.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I digress, bro. You and I never have to leave the diversionary. Lol

Comment

I digress, bro. You and I never have to leave the diversionary. Lol
            No, no, no! Mike strictly fishes Chocolate; never the diversionary!! LOL!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Hell I don't know any of y'all but I'd get in a boat with ya. Been fishing West Bay since April and it's been tough learning. Just putting in my time on the water.

Comment

Fly- You learned Carancahua Cut. Ya caught one more keeper than I did in the last 30 days!!! I'd say ya had a better day than many (except the dang crab trap!).

Hey Mike-You need to take me and Harvey!!!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Learnin is good. sounds like you gave it a good effort though.
                  TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Anytime you get back to the dock without something broken is a good trip. Catching fish is the icing on the cake........
                    Fishwhisperer

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                      Fly- You learned Carancahua Cut. Ya caught one more keeper than I did in the last 30 days!!! I'd say ya had a better day than many (except the dang crab trap!).

Hey Mike-You need to take me and Harvey!!!
                      Heck yeah, Jerry. Let's go get 'em!

Comment

....why would ya take the Carancahua cut to get out of the ditch when ya can go just a tad south and run through a little deeper water? I always take the Carancahua Cut with this simple method.

Look for the usual "Potlicker" that is going to be sitting right near your path, or is usually pitching a big wad of terminal tackle into the deep water in the cut where you are going to be exiting the ditch to enter the Bay.

Warn said "Potlicker" that you are going to be headed past him.

Blast right past the crab trap floats that have been left by "Luke" and wave at the boat(s) as you enter the Bay at full throttle. Never hit bottom nor have I ever ran aground running through the cut using this tried and true method.

Comment

All's well that ends well, at least that is what I hear! Thanks for the report and hope you get em next time.
                          Scott
                          "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Heck yeah, Jerry. Let's go get 'em!
                            I'm down!
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Here we go, Jerry. Shall we gather in Jamaica beach? I don't drink alcohol but I've got other goodies and l'll gladly buy the gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X