Lure clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lure clips

I always use a loop knot http://capmel.com/loop_knot.htm which is one of the simplest that I have found to tie. Still you have to retie each bait change and that takes time from fishing.
    I use Sufix in the 20 lb plus a rod length of Pline leader and no swivel though many people I know put a swivel up the line.

Started off with the Norman Speed Clips until about the 3rd or 4th good flounder I lost years ago when I started fishing with them.

On 2cool there has been some discussions on the

Norton clips with and with out the swivel
    vs
    the Quckswirl with and with out the swivel.

What if any and which size do you use on what baits?

Thanks,

Jim

I use the Norton without swivels, can't remember the size right now, but they are just above the smallest. I use the same size for both tails and tops, so I am not sure if that is the right thing to do, but it works for me.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Try the Norton with the swivel, size 10 or 14, works with anything but a Corky!! If you fish Corky, try the quick Swirl. I think that Pimp had another that he used, and he has more experience with all of them than I. Add Skitterwalk and other Rapala baits to the list that don't like the single turn type. If the eyelet is ver small on the lure, fish will swim with your baits.. I actually have been able to work a sitterwalk right of the Norton whiel fishing and had to walk over and pick up the topwater.
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Steve, maybe this is the reason I am having issues! I have been using the non swivel version!

Once again thanks for the information.
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Yea, the Norman sux! Norton with the swivel are what I use for topwaters and plastics. Quickswirl for Corkys but I prefer using the a loop knot on Corkys. Tourney day I use nothing but loop knots on ALL baits. Dont trust any of the quick clips when big fish for $$$$ is on the line.

AQUA PIMP
          AQUA PIMP......
          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

i only use the ones from the brown lure website.. never had a problem with them and wont use anything else..
            Boats and hoes.

Comment

I usually use the quickswirl w/o swivel for everything, ut use the norton when I can't find them. I have had no problems with either. I use 30lb braid w/4ft leader of Berkeley vanish. I will sometimes use a loop knot if I am looking for big trout or want the bait to sink more slowly.
              sigpic
              Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I won't use a swirl type connector to fish with but I have some norman speed clips. I have used them once or twice but what is wrong with those. They enclose the eye of the jig or plug. I put a swivel on one and it worked good. I think I even bought them cause barham told me about them. I just can't get past using more tackle on my line. Loop knots for everything, all the time. That's why I buy bulk leader material.

Comment

Quick swirls for most everything EXCEPT Corkys. Loop knots for Corkys as the Pimp mentioned.
                  Just mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. If it matters you better mind!

Comment

I use strictly the quickswirl with swivel on everything unless fishing in grass,then I tie direct to the braid.No leader necessary. What ever your accustomed too I'd say. Without the swivel, I've had the corky or two start to work it's way off.
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Gilbert,

Only tried the Norman on Flounder and I had a few bigger flounder get off with them at the kayak. Not sure why but couple was enough.

I can stand losing a good flounder cause we used to catch them all the time but the thought of losing a big trout made me quit using them.

Like trophy deer big trout are far and few between so why not cut the odds in your favor all you can. Heck you may lose them for a lot of reasons and I did not want a speed clip to be one of them.

AP- Someone said that you had a good post up a while back. Do you have the refference?
                      Last edited by JimD; December 29, 2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                        Gilbert,

Only tried the Norman on Flounder and I had a few bigger flounder get off with them at the kayak. Not sure why but couple was enough.

I can stand losing a good flounder cause we used to catch them all the time but the thought of losing a big trout made me quit using them.

Like trophy deer big trout are far and few between so why not cut the odds in your favor all you can. Heck you may lose them for a lot of reasons and I did not want a speed clip to be one of them.

I'm with you on that! That's why I said I prefer 99.99999% of the time to just use loop knots.

Comment

I use the "Moonpie Knot". Same one he always has used to tie on his shoes (before he went velcro that is). Granny knots. Problem is Moonpie keeps falling over when trying to walk and it aint from beer-he keeps tying the left and right shoe laces together!!!
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

12 lbs Andie,vanish shock leader attached with a blood knot,if using lead heads i have a swivel at the end of shock leader with a little vanish to lead head attached with a loop knot.Topwater i cut above the swivel and tie loop knot to lure no swivel,and i have a swivel in front of my corkys also.
                            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I am very oldschool, and didn't even thin about trying the clips or any other attachment to a llure until this year when my near vision got noticably bad. Always tied loop knots and use a 20 pound flouro leader. I still use the leader and am resoning out which clips I like best. Pimp put me on two styles that I mentioned earlier and I have found where i like them. Unfortunately they are not interchangable. I wouldn't even be taling about them if it wasn't for my vision and the fact that I fish a lot in low light conditions. The ultimate compromise isn't avalable right now, but I may try to produce them some time soon. I know what is needed,and can't understand why no one has made it.??
                              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Working...
                              X