Big boat problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big boat problem

I dropped off my 2006 Explorer boat at Krolls Marine to have a new onboard trolling motor battery charger installed . When they arrived the next morning , they found a pool of gasoline on the ground under my boat . After much checking and testing , it was determined that my aluminum gas tank had a hole in it probàbly from electrolysis . They must cut around my console , remove the console , then remove the gas tank , Place a new tank and replace the console and reglaze the deck . It wil cost ... Gasp .... Choke .. . Just shy of $5,000 . Explorer 21 , keep alert for any gas leaks .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Dang sorry to hear that.. At least if you get it fixed now it'll be ready for spring and summer.

Comment

OUCH!!
      That sounds like maybe a poor installation by the manufacture.
      Try and Google aluminum gas tanks in boats and see what you come up with.
      Also ask to see the tank after they remove it.

Comment

too bad they couldnt patch it. I patched one i had with fiberglass and it worked out well. Of course, i wasnt 'in the business"...
        good thing they found it instead of you in the water and it could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHU View Post
          too bad they couldnt patch it. I patched one i had with fiberglass and it worked out well. Of course, i wasnt 'in the business"...
          good thing they found it instead of you in the water and it could have been a lot worse.
          They would have to cut up my deck to access the tank to patch or replace . If patched , another spot may leak . The new tank is a stronger , heavier gauge than the original . Yes , I was blessed to have it leak there rather than in my storage or catch fire on the water .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
            They would have to cut up my deck to access the tank to patch or replace . If patched , another spot may leak . The new tank is a stronger , heavier gauge than the original . Yes , I was blessed to have it leak there rather than in my storage or catch fire on the water .
            It still sux. Sorry Henry.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sorry too hear Henry... BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post
                Sorry too hear Henry... BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand.

Sent from my iPhone
                Yeah , my wife is not happy . She's always chirping about how something always needs to be repaired on the boat .
                I will find out eventually as to the cause of the leak but as of now they suspect electrolysis erosion of the metal . The same thing that can occur to your outboard if you don't have a sacrificial anode on the outboard .

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                  It still sux. Sorry Henry.
                  X2. Mine's broke too.

Comment

If it has a pu**y or a propellar you are going to have problems with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
                      Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Bust out another thousand in either case.

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post

is that what's wrong with you?

Comment

Yep...I've got to deal with you on this board!!

Comment

Yep you get irritated easy...

Comment

I don't think this thread is about you and Gibby.
                              Last edited by fuzzy; February 28, 2015, 07:35 PM. Reason: misspell

Comment

Working...
                              X