No announcement yet.

can we do anything to winterize boats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can we do anything to winterize boats?

is there anything i can do to protect my boat from the freezing temps or do i even need to worry about it? it's hanging in bayou vista?
    tnx,
    michelle

Trim motor down is what i've heard.
    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Michelle, after you flush the motor, trim all the way up and let it drain as much as possible, then trim it back down. If you haven't fished just do the trim up then back down drill. You want all water out of the block and any lines. If your boat stays outside, cover the motor with a blanket or two for added safety the next few nights. Your batteries will drain a great deal from the cold, but can just be charge before the next use. There really shouldn't be any other issues, the big thing is that water will expand when it freezes, and can rupture things.

You sure you don't want to fish Friday????
      Last edited by shallowist; January 6, 2010, 08:04 PM. Reason: daa
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Should be good over the water I'd think. In the morning you could go out , lower it, and fire it off to help circulate fresh warmer water, and charge the battery. Saltwater will freeze, but it'll take a little more cold than what we're getting.

Or just stay inside and drink hot toddies and say the heck with it.
        Don't be a Nancy!
        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

i did trim the engine and got a little water to drain out. thanks for the info. i may see what i have left in blankets to throw over it. the plants seem to have most of them.
          michelle

Comment

Thanks for posting this Michelle, I just got back on the island and was not thinking about the BOAT!
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I just winterized my kayaks engine with a little bourbon.

Comment

Working...
              X