Hermit crabs like "crack" for Reds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hermit crabs like "crack" for Reds?

A fishing friend who's lived on Galveston all his life swears hermit crabs (sans shell) are "like crack cocaine" to Redfish. Is that true in your experience? I gathered up a few my last two wading trips, cracked 'em open at home and froze them with leftover shrimp and mullet. I've only tested the crabs once on a 2-hook bottom rig with shrimp on the other hook, and at least one Red, as well as other fish, prefered the twice-frozen shrimp to either the crab or thawed mullet. Once isn't enough to correctly form an opinion, so I'm asking you. I'm willing to play the odds, whatever they are.

Also in a 2-hook test between fresh-dead shrimp and a Gulp minnow, the real thing wins. No surprise. From time to time, though, I see Gulp packages of saltwater creatures other than shrimp and twisty-tail fish, and I wonder if Reds ever "jones" for off-beat bait. What I read says mature Reds prefer crabs, but in my experience Gulp crabs and other brands of soft and hard artificial crabs have yet to tempt a bite. Floating life-like crabs on a Texas rig got no nibbles, even with Gulp attractant, next to reefs through this past winter, but this approach should work, right? To tell the truth, I'd rather throw and retrieve a variety of artificials. But after my biggest Red recently came on a thrice-frozen shrimp, I'm going to give real bait a close look. Can anyone shed some light?

I've caught lots and lots of sheepshead on them - don't see why they wouldn't work for reds.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Well for this reason I have a problem working away from dead or live shrimp. I have been spilitting time from shrimp to plastics
      and artificials but so far this year zero on the arties of any kind. As for the hermit crabs, I would keep trying them, its not to hard to get a few of them for testing .

Comment

You are overthinking it. You put a hermit crab or dead shrimp in front of a hungry red and it will eat either just as readily.

Interesting story... I ran into a vietnamese fellow at the S. Jetty one time. He had 2 5-gallon buckets full of hermit crabs. I didn't ask him, but I have a feeling they weren't for bait

Comment

Blech! Lol
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
            You are overthinking it. You put a hermit crab or dead shrimp in front of a hungry red and it will eat either just as readily.

Interesting story... I ran into a vietnamese fellow at the S. Jetty one time. He had 2 5-gallon buckets full of hermit crabs. I didn't ask him, but I have a feeling they weren't for bait
            I would say that's a pretty good gut feeling milk jug .
            And saying dead shrimp is as good as live shrimp is like saying a dead whore is as good as a live one.

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
              And saying dead shrimp is as good as live shrimp is like saying a dead whore is as good as a live one.
              Blhaaaahaaaaaahaaaaa
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

We catch reds on dead shrimp , night fishin
                FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                  Lol. Live shrimp are probably the best bait to be found. That's why my tackle box stays stocked with Hogie swimming jacks.

Comment

Dead shrimp vs. dead hermit crab.

dead skrimp vs. brown hop-o-matic is no comparison.

is like saying a dead whore is as good as a live one.
                    Heat 'em up a bit and its almost as good and a lot cheaper.

Comment

JT that made my day. Wonder what the price difference would be considering you can pick up dead shrimp a little cheaper

Comment

This whole thing has just gone horribly wrong!! LOL!!
                        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

JT said he always like a few cold ones.
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                          X