Surf This Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf This Morning

Green enough, and choppy with light onshore wind. Quite a few fishermen out. Most with bait buckets. I didn't see much caught between early dawn and 7:00. Birds started working shrimp @ 7:00 and saw one guy down by the state park catch what looked like a 5# trout on a topwater.

A 12 year old young lady caught & released about a 20# drum. I hobbled over and took she and her dad's picture with his phone. She waded right back out after the release...big smiles all around!

I noticed what I think are rookie mistakes, like not fishing really close in very early and then moving out to the 2nd bar because everyone else did. The guy that caught the big trout was casting parallel to the beach, alternating between on the bar and right off the bar. He also kept moving slowly along to cover more water. Like yesterday, most folks had nets which to me just slows everything down, so when a school moves in they may get one fish before it moves on.

Evenings still are tough because the wind picks up, it sands up, and the tides waaaay out.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Thanks for the good info Kenny. And a cool thing to do, to hobble over on your bad wheel to take a pic for them.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I saw the same thing down at my house by the water tower and never saw a hook up.

Comment

The bite for the previous two days has been very early and short.
        The average trout size was above normal.
        Most were caught on gold spoons in the first gut.
        Also caught a 17" pomp.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice

Comment

Thanks for the update Kenny.
            TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Thanks for the info, kenny. I figured with my transportation problems the surf would turn on. Nice catch, RC. I love tho win' spoons in the surf myself.

Comment

Great report, thanks.
                "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Awesome info, thanks
                  Green grass and high tides forever
                  Mike Mathena

Comment

going this afternoon to give it a shot.

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Originally posted by R C View Post
                      The bite for the previous two days has been very early and short.
                      The average trout size was above normal.
                      Most were caught on gold spoons in the first gut.
                      Also caught a 17" pomp.
                      Nice catch RC,
                      Were you fishing Surfside? Did you catch them all? you mentioned gold spoons is why I asked.
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Bite has been on fire in the early evening, all fish have been way out on the 3rd bar gotta wade as far out as you can and cast as far as you can. Keep in mind this has been the pattern with the outgoing tide, haven't been In the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                          Nice catch RC,
                          Were you fishing Surfside? Did you catch them all? you mentioned gold spoons is why I asked.
                          Yes, on the pay beach.

No, I left a few. , but those in the pic I caught.

I was fishing with a friend of a friend, Dan, who's a fresh water guide on Canyon Lake.
                          I was showing him the ropes on surf fishing for trout.
                          I may be too good a teacher, he fished again this morning and messaged me he caught a 30"

I think I'll hit the surf again in the morning, my personal best for years is still only 28" .

Comment

I was fishing with a friend of a friend, Dan, who's a fresh water guide on Canyon Lake.
                            I was showing him the ropes on surf fishing for trout.
                            I may be too good a teacher, he fished again this morning and messaged me he caught a 30"

has your freshwater guide friend ever heard of the STAR tournament? haha

Comment

I'm purty sure he was entered cause because we had a talk about it and I was the only one not entered.

Comment

Working...
                              X