D-Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day

Lest we forget – tomorrow is the 71st anniversary of D-Day, the WW II Allied invasion of France on the beaches of Normandy.

There are many Texas ties, including the Battleship Texas and the scaling of the cliffs at Ponte du Hoc.

The Battleship Texas (now at San Jacinto) was one of the ships lying miles offshore that bombarded the German positions along the beaches before the landing craft went in. (FYI – Those landing craft were invented and manufactured right down the road in New Orleans, where there’s now a terrific -- and recently expanded -- D-Day/WW II Museum.)

The 500 U.S. Army Rangers at Pont du Hoc were commanded by an Aggie – James Earl Rudder, who later became a Texas Land Commissioner and president of Texas A&M. The Rangers’ job was to scale the tall cliffs rising up from the beach using rope and grappling hooks, all under heavy enemy f. They were to destroy the German gun emplacements on the top of the cliffs. They lost 50% of their men, but succeeded getting to the top. When they got there, they found that the guns had been removed. There now is a Texas Historical Marker on the wall of one of those German bunkers.

I’m sure many of you have your own D-Day (or WW II) stories from your fathers or grandfathers. Please share.

For the interactive version, ticket payments, and more: http://fallen.io An animated data-driven documentary about war and peace, The Fallen of World War II looks…
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

It's an amazing story of courage and leadership. !75,000 +- men landing by sea & air to take 90 miles of French coastline.
    The Ranger's story is just amazing. Men climbing those ropes into blazing gunfire. Better men than we will ever be.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

eye opening video!!
      "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Grandpa landed on Normandy beach day 3, he's still living strong. He will be 94 in July!!! Hes one hell of a man with one of the strongest hearts I've ever seen
        "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Nice Post Coe...Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

If you haven't been there, you should really try to make the trip. It is awesome to see what must have gone on there on that day!
              Photos are at Omaha Beach at the American Cemetery and at Pointe Du Hoc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5073.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	561994

Name:	IMG_5103.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	561995

Name:	IMG_5114.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	561996

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	561997

Comment

If you aren't moved emotionally at the St. Laurent Cemetery, then you are not alive. I'll never forget going there with my dad in 2000. We both stood among those crosses and Stars of David and openly wept. I have a video somewhere of me down on the beach. I keep a jar of sand from Omaha on my desk at school. We spent several days in Normandy. The people there were gracious and truly appreciative of Americans, which is much more than I can say of the Parisians.

You never truly appreciate what those great men did until you stand on the beach and look up the bluffs to what they faced. I live every day with an appreciation for their sacrifice. Their sacrifice and those of other eras are why I teach history.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Working...
                X