Spinning Reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning Reels

Need a couple spinning reels. Will be used for trout. Any suggestions?

The one I have is a penn, it's worked fine for a few years now.
    Green grass and high tides forever
    Mike Mathena

Comment

Mitchell 300 or that version has been the only reel I've used for 50 years.
      If it wears out or gets to making noise, it goes overboard and I purchase new.

I believe the Mitchell300Pro is their better version now but I have not tried it but will when these I have now give out.
      Mist em down with water and wipe em down with a rag with pledge and oil the moving outside joints and you are good to go.
      "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

I don't use them personally, can't seem to get used to them and miss a lot of hook-ups. I've seen Moe catch fish consistently with a spinner. I think he uses a shimano.

Comment

When Penn made the SS reels here in the U.S., they were the best, albeit a little heavy. Anything Shimano, even the cheapest ones would be a good start these days. If you're just trying them out, don't go for the expensive ones. I've got one $20 Shimano that made it through Katrina and still serves well today. It's got to be 15 years old at least.
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

These will be for the kids/wife to use. I want something that will last, and requires little maintenance. Don't mind spending a little more for a decent reel.

Comment

I have a Shimano for a few years but haven't used it that much. It is a good reel when I use it. Don't know who besides Penn or Garcia who makes them. check out Bass Pro or Fishing Tackle Unlimited for different makers.

Comment

Shimano Sahara, Symetre, or Spheros. Different price points inexpensive to more expensive. The 3000 size with 30lb Power Pro is a good starting point. That's just my opinion. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Moe
                Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

I like and use the Quantum Cabo PT on my nicest rod set up. Mgstei 1 has pointed out a very good spinning reel, the Mitchell 300 was the first hand me down reel from my father(he regretted giving one of his best reels). I used that set up until it fell apart. Last year I purchased the GX2 ugly stick from Shakespeare for my little girl and went ahead and got me one too. Not a bad rod combo for 50 bucks. Very sturdy but sensitive rod( I like that they changed the line guides and don't have inserts anymore), the reel is average.
                    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

We only use Penn. We have some from the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. They all have taken a beating with little to no maintenance. They don't gum up in the surf either.

Comment

I get all my loaner rod and reel combos from Academy. Their H2O line is not bad. You can also catch them on sale and buy a decent set up for under $100.

Comment

shimano sahara 3000 i've got 4 of them, they hold up extremely well and are a great bang for your buck.- i'm talking dunking in the surf, lots of wadefishing, everything. just rinse them down afterwards and spray them with some of that reel spray they sell at academy. 70 bucks academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe View Post
                            Shimano Sahara, Symetre, or Spheros. Different price points inexpensive to more expensive. The 3000 size with 30lb Power Pro is a good starting point. That's just my opinion. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Moe
                            X2

Comment

Check the Penn 4000. Good reviews. Hope this helps. Ugly stick made a newer rod than the GX 2. It's lighter. You can see them on bass pro, or academy. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
                              robert
                              And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X