CSN Sea and Land Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSN Sea and Land Rescue

So there I was returning home from another enjoyable time at Blockade Runners. Without having to be at work early on Monday, I had allowed myself to stay as long as I wanted to on Sunday. It was about 12:30am when I finally pushed away from the dock, saying goodbye to the place. Rather than rush, I idled all the way down the bayou. As I reached the mouth, I noticed a boat faaaaaar to the North in SLP, that was blinking a light. It wasn't SOS, you know ---__ __ __ ---, so I almost dismissed it and went on my way. I noticed it was rhythmic, so I flashed back the same. They kept flashing, so I went to investigate. It was pitch dark and my only reference was Mud Island, which I had to stay close to to avoid the shoals. I got close enough to them to ask if they needed help. "Motor won't start!" So I edged closer only to get hung on the sand bar. I told them they'd have to get closer to the edge to throw me a line. Things worked out and we got back to the ramp at about 1:30. They thanked me and headed out.

I took my time unloading the boat and securing it for travel. Again, it was so nice not to be in a hurry to get home. I took advantage of the deserted Bluewater highway to drive it slowly, at about 35 mph. After a while, I noticed a vehicle far ahead with its flashers on. I told myself that whomever was stuck on this deserted highway this late at night would probably be waiting a loooong time for any help, so I'd better stop. I pulled up and who was it? THE SAME GUYS I had just rescued. LMAO. They had a flat tire and didn't have a jack. Talk about a tough night for these guys. But there's a lesson from both situations. 1. If your motor is pull start, have an extra pull rope in case yours breaks. 2. Have a freakin' jack in your truck.

When it was all over, I told them smiling that this was the LAST TIME I was helping them tonight. Beyond thanking me this time, they invited me on an offshore trip on the other guy's boat. Given what I've seen of their luck, I don't know if I should take them up on that.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Coach to the rescue! Way to go Sandy!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Way to be there. What goes around comes around.

Comment

Great job Sandy!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Nice going Sandy. Did you splain to the geniuses that S-O-S is really simple to know/use and perhaps a VHF Radio was likely a great investment?

As far as going on an offshore trip, I'd pass with those guys for sure.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nothing will ever beat the guy that I pulled in that had exhausted 2 batteries trying to get in on his trolling motor. He said his starting battery died, so he tried to get in on his TM. I asked why he didn't just hook up one of the TM batteries to get his outboard started. He looked at me as if I had just invented the wheel.

I did not explain SOS. I didn't think to do so. They were good guys, just not prepared. We've all been guilty of not being prepared at times. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. I'd say 50% of the people out on the water are not really prepared for what can happen. How many of us actually wear our kill switch all the time? How many of us make the effort to have backup propulsion AND keep it in working shape? How many people out there run a boat without having an anchor in it? Etc. Turns out the guy's truck was bought used and he had never checked to see if it had a jack. How many of us have actually checked that? I never did because I bought mine from my dad, so I knew it had a jack.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

yep, but I still wouldn't take them up on their offer-some folks are just snakebit!!!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post
                Great job Sandy!

Sent from my iPhone
                X2. Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job sandy, wouldn't expect anything less from you man.
                  Boats and hoes.

Comment

I don't plan on breaking down anytime soon, but I hope I'm on your route if it ever happens.

You are a good Guy!

Many years ago, my wife and I were towing my Gulf Coast up to Illinois. An older guy side-swiped us. We all stopped and the cops were called. By the time the officer arrived, we found out that the retired doctor had recently lost his wife and was moving back North. He was, at best, befuddled and didn't even know we were in Missouri. He thought we were still in Arkansas. No tickets were given, at my request.

A few hours later, after I had stopped to get the side mirror replaced...who do we find stuck on the side of the road in Illinois...but the same guy! He had driven off of the road and killed the engine with the road-side brambles. We called for help and when a sheriff's car arrived, he promised to wait with the gentleman until a tow truck arrived.

Poor guy. We really felt sorry for him.

richg99

Comment

You the da man Sandy, go offshore with them so you will have another story to share. LOL
                      A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

I've always said, that if everything went the way it was supposed to, nobody would have any good stories to tell.

Comment

Working...
                        X