Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added PVC DIY Slick--strips to my bunks today Under $15.00

All for under $15.00

For as long as I can remember, I have added some sort of plastic strips onto my bunks.

Even when I had fiberglass boats, I felt that the ease of launching, and, more importantly, recovery with slippery bunks was a great asset. In the past, I used PVC boards from Lowes/Home Depot and earlier, PVC lattice cut into strips and also once used just the diagonal pattern. Each of these installations called for countersinking stainless steel screws.

While looking for PVC post covers, I stumbled on ten foot 3x4 PVC gutter downspouts at Lowes/Home Depot. Less than $12.00 each, and only ONE required, I was very happy,

This morning I dropped my boat into a nearby slip. I then had full access to the trailer. The PVC gutters, having been cut in half longitudinally, fit right on top of my carpeted bunks. I added ten screws from the sides....with no countersinking required.

When it came time to recover the boat, she slid right up the new shiny PVC ramps with ease.

richg99

regards, richg99Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160229_104925 reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	576771Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160226_083709 reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	576772

Let us know if this lasts for a while. Certainly can't beat the price.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, will these covers cause problems by trapping water underneath an not allowing to dry. ?
      I have problems launching sometimes when water is WAY low, getting unstuck from the trailer .

Comment

Yeah aluminum boat + carpeted boards= no bueno! Lol I might try that! Thanks for the info Rich!

Comment

Worse than "Aluminum boat ....Carpeted bunks" is when you learn that Under the Carpeted Bunks....the trailer manufacturer put Treated Lumber. I was told, by the sales rep, that a major trailer manufacturer ONLY uses treated lumber on their bunks.

This cap should cure that problem, too. richg99

Comment

Richg , are you saying that treated lumber is the best choice ? I would think that treated style ,has a longer life than normal
            untreated pine for example. I did not follow your last post .

Comment

Treated lumber would be the worst choice.

Treated lumber reacts with aluminum. It's a material that should be avoided in bunks, transoms, and anything else on aluminum boats.

That is why I was shocked that a trailer manufacturer would use it for their bunks. If they only sold to fiberglass boat owners, that would be OK.. Sorry if I confused anyone.
              richg99

Comment

Thanks Rich! I made the switch after a year of running my boat. I found my bunk slides at McClain Trailer. I never thought to check Home Depot or Lowes.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

good to know , I am about to convert a trailer over for my aluminum boat and I never would have thought of this
                  I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Great info, I did not know that information . I have alum trailer with glass hull , not sure what boards

Comment

Working...
                    X