Fishing Report - Galveston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Report - Galveston

Well it's been a heck of a week to be on the water... I was the only one out there, had the bay to myself... I'm not sure what that says about me. LOL.

This week I caught fish in shallow mud and shell, shallow mud and grass, and on shallow oyster after the tide went up 2 feet. All my normal wading locations couldn't be waded unless you were 7'0. The fish are transitioning and are spread out in many different areas across the bay. Mostly they are shallow except when the wind gets up they will move deeper so they won't get beat up as much. With the bay water temperature as warm as it is, they don't have anything stopping them from roaming anywhere they want to... trout can be found in marshes and marsh cuts this time of year for that same reason... doesn't mean they are all there. Most of the trout will stay in the main bay and secondary bays but don't be surprised if you catch on way back in the marsh on shallow mud and shell or in a marsh drain. You'll also find your trout and reds mixed together this time of year since the trout and reds are keying on glass minnows in shallow water. Over the next couple of days the outgoing tide should be the better bite if you can locate some fish.

If you aren't finding what you need or if the wind gets up, it's not a bad plan to hit some drains with outgoing current and hunt for reds and flounder... might find a couple trout in there as well.

This week I was able to use topwaters to locate feeding fish. Using the topwater as a search bait of sorts early and late. One knocker spook and a smaller top like a yo zuri... worked slow... Then after not getting a strike for a couple of cast I'll switch to plastic or suspending baits to continue to work the fish in that area. If you can wade an area after this tide gets back to normal, I'd do that. But yesterday that was almost impossible.

For plastics I've been doing well on litl johns in golden bream when the water's off color or darker sky conditions. Something small and shad like can also work this time of year.

Suspending baits are also great this time of year. Thursday I was fishing an area with the trout shadowing a school of mullet and I used a Rapala Subwalk in Olive / chrome. It has a nice walk and isnt quite as loud as the Catch 5. Also it's a smaller presentation and that can help this time of year. Mirrodines or softdines can also work well this time of year. Tx Chicken in off color water and pearl black in clearer water will do fine.

My best day this week was 8 trout and 2 reds... monday was also good with 4 trout and 4 reds... all good fish.

hope that helps... good luck this weekend.
    t
    Attached Files
    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Great job Tobin, and thanks for the info. Always appreciated.

Comment

Nice report Tobin.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Very nice. Thanks. I'm headed down this weekend to try and find a few.

Comment

Very nice Tobin!!!!
          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

excellent info for this beginner,, thanks gunner

Comment

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Great report Tobin. Just like your disc, it gives a week-end angler an idea of where to try and what lures or colors that might work!
                thanks

Comment

Fantastic. Thank you for the info. Lord Bless.
                  robert
                  And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed and informative report
                    "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Anytime guys.
                      t
                      TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

I was out friday thru sunday and the high water made it hard for me to locate the fish. I did find alot of bait in the back lakes on the southshore line of west bay even cast net a couple of good size mullet. I think its about the time for the sand eel hatch cause i did alot floating on the surface around my underwater boat lights. im glad someone could find them.

Comment

You'll get there buddy. I won't say it was easy fishing, even I had to think on my feet on the water and hunt them hard. Fish move everyday right now with all these changing conditions. This high water makes it even tougher, bait all pushed back into the grass.
                          TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Can't wait till I pass this info onto my son Jboy. He'll be trying to thumb a ride from Kingwood to Galveston w/ his backpack and 3 rods.

Good, fast, cheap.....pick two!

Comment

Working...
                            X