carancahua reef galveston questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carancahua reef galveston questions

Doing a bit of research on that area, and noticing that my charts and nav chart this area shows very shallow. or showing.
    I was super cautious yesterday trying to NO find the bottom due to the huge swell yesterday, I did not see the normal
    signs of shallow, the swells will give it away most of the time. My question is , what is the condition of that area
    and what to look out for. ( i actually saw that bad news stickup on the south end , gps had it pegged )

Hog,
    It needs to be a pretty low tide to see wave action on the reef. If you turn West at the end of the Jamaica channel, you can cut through the reef. It's semi-marked. At the North end, there is a slanted piling that marks this end. Shallow on the East side, deep on the West side. Approach it as fast as your comfortable hitting it ...

Comment

The northern end of it is shallower... but with all this super high tide it's been covered a bit. At normal tide the shallowest part is right under the water... but the southern end has a little more water covering it.. Good info above... I tend to just go around it myself.
      TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dreilly View Post
        Hog,
        It needs to be a pretty low tide to see wave action on the reef. If you turn West at the end of the Jamaica channel, you can cut through the reef. It's semi-marked. At the North end, there is a slanted piling that marks this end. Shallow on the East side, deep on the West side. Approach it as fast as your comfortable hitting it ...
        Best advice ever!! ha ha.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
        X