San luis 05/07/2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San luis 05/07/2016

Hey first time posting, long time subscriber. Went out this morning for 4 hrs and we caught 14 trout and a flounder. We were using lures, either subsurface plugs or tidal surge split tails in plum color. There was a lot of horse mullet everywhere but managed to find pods of finger mullet. We covered a good amount of water with the trolling motor and made multiple drifts over areas that were holding fish. They key for us today was being mobile and just methodically covering more water. I found that if the spot we were at had bait that seemed like it was being attacked but didn't produce we had to move on and it worked out in our favor. Nothing is more frustrating than bait moving frantically and zero slot size takers. Can't explain it but we caught most of our fish where bait was present but not being frantically chased around. I did catch a few small specs in the areas where bait was being chased and decided to hunt for larger ones. I believe the larger ones were holding on ledges near bait and that how we were able to have success. I feel like this is a rant now but want to be informative to any newcomers out there looking to score a tip. Also talked to a new resident that moved here from Virginia to work for ExxonMobil on the north side of town. I gave him some general info and some places to try. I love sharing helpful info since I know how rough it can be to get started working our vast Bay system. Also threw in a few trout recipes. Well guys let me know how this write up went

Biggest trout was right at 23" but no scale.

-Kody

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

We were on the Bayside BTW around cold pass

Comment

Thanks for the report! I kayaked south Christmas Bay this morning, but got skunked. Didn't see much activity at all and can't cover as much water in a yak. About what time did y'all get out there?

Comment

We hammered 'em last night under the lights in Tit-Tat. Only 2 trout today though. Waitin' for the sun to go make doe doe so we can catch come more. Good first post!
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

On the water at 7:30 didn't get more than 4 fish in one spot but they were all down cold pass shoreline

Comment

Excellent first post great catching!

Sandy, glad to hear another good report. Had tons of bait in my lights last night but I didn't fish.
            Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice catch!!!!
              Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Nice!
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Excellent first post! Welcome aboard!
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report, catch and pic!

Comment

Good read, keep em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Glad to hear y'all like the post. I will keep them coming as often as I can get to the water. I'd be there everyday if I could.

Comment

Hammering 'em again. I've got 2 guests and they had 10 in the box, but were working for them. I took 4 casts and put 4 in the box. They voted me off the dock. Under the lights out here right now the key is small baits. I was throwing a tandem glass minnow rig I made. I left them my rig and they're fighting over it now. LOL. The wind is getting after it, but the fish don't know it's windy.
                          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Good report, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X