Hectic Morning - Dead in the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hectic Morning - Dead in the water

Spent the morning barely outside the jetties dead in the water. We had a couple of vapor locks and bulbs wouldn't prime. To add insult to injury VHF somehow got fried between last trip and this one and was not operating. We could barely hear a boat next to us that stopped to assist. Much appreciated as we couldn't get anyone to come help or stop to give us a tow out of harms way.

We had an earlier fuel issue just near bridge bait which we got fixed but could have only been a short fix as the issue intensified near shore as mentioned above.

The good samaritan boater pulled us away from the channel and out about 1/2 a mile to safety. We reset the anchor and waited continuing to work to a solution. We waived and thanked him, have already reached out to send him some cash, fish offer a trip etc. again can't thank them enough.

After 2 hours of trouble shooting, coast guard calls and a call to the towing company I managed to get an engine some gas. We came back in and alerted everyone we were safe. Towing company met us at the coast guard station and shadowed us into Surfside marina.

We still haven't diagnosed the fuel delivery issue but I'm glad it happened this weekend on a fun trip and not next week for the Shootout.

Hope everyone had fun! I think I lost track at 50 boats.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Tank vents are not fully open/maybe plugged? Good thing (?) it all happened close and not way out there...glad all are safe and sound.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHU View Post
      Tank vents are not fully open/maybe plugged? Good thing (?) it all happened close and not way out there...glad all are safe and sound.
      It's happened at Boomvang coming off the fuel bladder but that problem was solved by adding a fuel valve to isolate.

Comment

Maybe engines sucking too much and fuel lines not large enough.

Comment

Ethanol fuel?? I've seen that stuff dissolve the inside of fuel lines to the point it was like hot bubble gum and either no fuel or very little would flow thru.
          Hello, My name is Anthony, and I'm a Chocoholic.

Comment

Glad you got back safely.
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Man, coulda been much worse if you got farther out. Thank goodness y'all got back safe. With twins you figure you always have a backup, but both using the same fuel source is the only weakness. Sure hope it gets figgered out quick.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Primer bulb check valve? Glad you are safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That could have gone so much worse. Glad y'all are back, safe and sound!
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Glad you guys and it back safely.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                      Man, coulda been much worse if you got farther out. Thank goodness y'all got back safe. With twins you figure you always have a backup, but both using the same fuel source is the only weakness. Sure hope it gets figgered out quick.
                      I have two tanks, one for each engine.

Comment

Well, that should be foolproof. Let us know what the final diagnosis is. To have the same exact malfunction on 2 independent systems is freaky.
                        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Just glad you're alright. I probably need to check some of my communication gear too.
                          TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Crummy day but yes it could have been a lot worse .
                            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                            X