Fish id please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish id please

We have been catching a lot of these in a drainage ditch by our house. Range from 4" to 10". Anyone know what they are?
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Tilapia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Tilapia is my guess too. But I am not a marine biologist.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

That is what I thought too. Caught some pretty big ones. Might have to eat one
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

That's what it is.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
            That is what I thought too. Caught some pretty big ones. Might have to eat one
            It's a tilapia good eats
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

And I thought tilapia were from South America for some reason . Cook one up !
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I believe you're supposed to dispatch them by gutting them immediately, whether you keep them or not. I'm pretty sure it's the law, as they're an invasive species. Could I be confusing them with another fish?
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Tilapia.
                  Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Yessir, blue tilapia 100%

For a good look at the damage they do visit Fairfield Lake some time. It's a power plant lake so the temp never gets low enough to kill them and they have built to a crazy population. In any cove the bottom of the lake is covered by giant craters where they have dug nests.

They do provide good sport with the castnet or speargun so I can't complain too much given the scarcity of targets in freshwater.

Comment

its a talapia

Comment

I would suggest not eating things from a drainage ditch since they typically have a lot of fertilizer and fecal matter that can be really harmful to you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ever thought about how and where the ones in the store are raised??? Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                          X