Big Shark in Starvation Cove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Shark in Starvation Cove

So I went cove jumping yesterday with all that wind and all in all it was a very good a productive day with some decent trout to 4lbs on broke backs and a few decent reds to 23" on soft plastics. Anyways Im drifting along in the back of starvation and noticed along side the boat a 7-8 ft. shark cruising around me. He did go after a small dink trout I caught but didn't get it. Disappeared under the cloudy water and didn't see it again but the fishing definitely stopped. Then we saw another good size one cruising the geo tube back by snake island cove about a 3-5ft. We wade these spots constantly so be careful out there keep a log stringer and the fish away from your body position. The one in starvation cove was the biggest Ive ever seen in west bay. But the tides where very high so that probably has something to do with it.

I was casting to a redfish that was parting marsh grass a few years ago in one of the coves over there and when it turned and swam past my leg it was a shark about 4 or 5 feet long. Almost had excrement in my waders. Had my stringer eaten more times than I'd like to admit. They're all over. Just inside the Pass I actually had one chomp down on the head of my trolling motor while it was running!!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Scary stuff
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

The trolling motor? That's a new one.

Does it have some sweet teeth marks on it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sharks don't bother me, it's the dang Stingrays that bother me. I hate rays.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

It does - scratched up the paint pretty good.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
              Sharks don't bother me, it's the dang Stingrays that bother me. I hate rays.
              X2!!!
              Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                Just inside the Pass I actually had one chomp down on the head of my trolling motor while it was running!!
                Happened to me in POC...engine off and a bull tasted the prop...weird...and spooky as hell
                sigpic

Comment

A few years back I was fishing inside San Luis pass for flounder, dragging a flow troll bucket with mud minnows. I had a bull shark bite the bait bucket twice before he decided that it didn't taste as good as it smelled.

Comment

These are some real horror stories. The thing is most of us spend a great deal of our free time wading around looking for that trophy fish. These sharks have gotten more aggressive over the years and really don't have a lot of fear of humans. It weird that we don't have more attacks. I don't have a fear as much as an awareness of them these days but I have to agree with Robalo that I'm definitely more afraid of a ray than a shark. But they are related anyways

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

The farking rays are everywhere. I've lost quite a few trout to the grey-suit but I know they prefer my trout over my leg. I've learned DO NOT pi$$ them off by pushing them with your rod, but those dang stingrays are so stealthy, I almost shart my pants when I have either a flounder or ray shuffle between my feet or under my foot and I jump and then swim on the surface for a minute while gaining my composure, then realize I have to put my feet back down in the mud and that sunbeach may be waiting for me to step on it-argggghhhhh. A good ray is either dead or missing its barb IMO. And yes, a 7' bull shark will like gnawing on my thigh.

Between the vibrio, whatever virus I caught in 1993 from a red snapper fin 30 miles out and had surgery and missed a month of work and a deer season, the sharks and the rays, plus it's hard to keep a cold beer nearby while wading, I prefer boat fishing nowadays. You younguns can have the wading.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                      X