Night Fishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Fishing question

I'm sure plenty of people do this but just getting some advice and suggestions if any for a noob (me).

Has anyone been fishing at night around a cove, flat or marsh under just the light from a full moon? If not those areas, what areas do you look for? I've been reading an article on night time feeding zones and curious as to what bait do ya'll use and how do you fish at night when you have no overhead light like on the causeway bridge and/ or underwater light. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Wade fishing? I wade fish the same pattern at night as I do during the day. Dark colored lures work the best, jerk shads style baits in morning glory, red shad,etc. black super spooks & spook jrs.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

What Hogie said!!!
      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

2nd on hogie, watermelon/red zoom super fluke, also chartreuse/glow works good. Lord Bless.
        robert
        And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

listen to Hogie he gotz the night beats.

Comment

Yep.. X+
            TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Once I fished alone in my kayak ALL night in Yates Cove , east bay . Full moon , 4 th July Friday night , got there before nightfall . Moon rose over the horizon , country band thumping out a 2 step easily heard from Stingaree Marina restaurant , folks on the Boliver Peninsula howitzering fireworks into the dreamy night sky . Grand fun ... until the death cloud of mosquitos blanketed the cove all intent on sucking me dry . Deet ran like oil over my body but the hellions would not be deterred . Up my nose and in my ears ... the Topwater quivered and danced like never before from my mosquito swatting gyrations . But , you don't care about that .

I learned its best to fish an incoming tide on a full moon , fish shallow , 2 feet or so , drag a big , black / dark Topwater or brokenback slowly over hopefully some shell near marsh grass . Be VERY quiet ... a kayak is best for that , and be patient . In this scenario you are hoping for that one bite granddaddy star winner speckled trout .

On my welp raising night adventure , 4 am , head buried in my chest , half asleep , barely moving my dark Mirrolure Snake Dancer 808 brokenback over 1 1/2 foot of shell in the back of the cove , I was startled awake by a massive blowup . The shower droplets glistened like crystal in the moon light . The fish shot for the open bay , me fumbling to hang on after a mesirable sleepless night . My spool emptied rapidly and I applied thumb pressure and pointed the rod tip skyward . Suddenly , the line stopped and the fish jerked and shook and snapped the line taking my plug in an instant . Anguished , I reeled in , turned on a light and saw the line had overlapped on the spool preventing outplay of monofilament . I pushed the thumb bar and the spool moved freely . I never saw that fish , but I think it was the largest trout I ever hooked . It could have been a redfish but being that shallow on top and by the way it head shook and acted , I feel it was a big trout . Oh well , that's what I believe . In the end , I wouldn't have traded that memorable night for a comfy mosquito free night in bed .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Cool.. that memory burned into your mind forever... almost like I was there.. minus the welps..
                TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Never been wade fishing at night, but I have seen many big fish in shallow water while foundering! In less than knee deep water.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Comment

One last thing about my night trip. Deep into the night but when I was still alert and with the full moon high and lighting the cove , I was close to the west side of the cove . My attention was brought to a large splash on the opposite shore . A washtub or larger sized object made rapid headway just under the water surface towards me . As it got close I saw small lights circling in a clockwise and counter clockwise manner around the outer circumference and just under the surface . I was disbelieving what I was seeing . It looked like a flying saucer under water. The fast moving object passed 6 feet to the left of my kayak and to open bay . What the heck just happened !? After some thought , I surmised a big stingray next to the shore was spooked by something and hauled stingray outta there passing close to me and stirring up photo chemical microbes that emit light when agitated . I've seen it shuffling close to shore at night . I did a lengthy report of that trip back then .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Yeah, those bioluminescent microbes are vey cool to experience.... well I hope it was a stingray.
                      TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X