Fall/Winter Fishing for Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall/Winter Fishing for Kids

My 12 year old daughter has caught the fishing bug bad! She had a ball fishing with me this summer and really enjoyed the Kids tourney. She's ready for more!

I've been putting her on live shrimp under a cork as that seems to be the easiest way to keep her interested...I usually fish artificial, especially in fall/winter when live shrimp is harder to come by.

My question is this...what should I rig up for her this fall? Gulp under a cork? Piggy perch or some other live bait? She hasn't quite figured out how to work a soft plastic yet so I'm just looking for something that will allow her to catch some fish.

Thanks in advance.

-FP

Having four myself (7yo - 16yo), I think you are on the right track. When bait gets scarce, I have them use gulp under a popping cork and / or gulp on a jig head.

A couple of other tactics you might consider: Fish a gold spoon or a hard bait like a strike king hunchback. Both are simply cast and reel kind of baits - no real finesse required. The challenge of the gold spoon and or hunchback is teaching them to cast reliably. The benefit is that they are always busy casting and reeling.

Hope that helps,
    JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thanks for the reply, JYC. I like the spoon, hard bait suggestion. I learned to throw arties when the bait got scarce. Guess she's gotta learn sooner or later.

-FP

Comment

Jerk has great advice as usual. Hunchbacks are great topwaters. I also taught my then 11 year old to work a superspook jr. which she really enjoyed. Gulp was always her go-to if the tops weren't working.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Spoon or swimming bait.

Comment

Working...
          X