Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education trip 11/18 review with Capt Greg Francis

Hey Guys,

I began looking for a good teaching guide about 6 weeks ago after talking to to many people on the forum and Tobin I decided to book a trip with Capt Greg Francis. The goal of the trip( or trips, I plan to do 4 this year) is to cut down my learning curve from bass fishing the last 15 years to spending 2016 primarily bay fishing.The trip focused on safe routes of west bay,seasonal patterns, and daily fish movements. In my opinion these things are huge for anyone fishing that really wants to be successful. Ecspecially fishing chocolate or west because half of
    Your trip may be spent idling new water not only to learn the area but to not smash into a reef. We also
    talked aboutfishing areas for the incoming season as well has how the fish will position during differnt tides,looking for slicks,signs etc. Now much of the this is covered in trout support dvds highly suggest watching those dvds. However, going with a quality guide like Capt Francis helps you get that little bit of extra coaching and applying the information you learn to specific body of water specifically areas that are known to be productive when certain conditions are present

We got to first spot about 6am. Tides were very high, Greg mentioned they seemed to be about a foot over normal and the reef would have been Much more productive at a normal tide height. We proceeded to catch 6 trout ranging from 16-22inches on spooks and she dogs.
    Moved to the next area after signs of life began to deaden. The next area showed a good amount of bait and some other good signs so we hopped out for another wade focusing on a couple points and eddies. We mangage to pick up 2 small reds there about 18 inches or so. Capt Greg mentioned that that spot may turn on in a while with the abundance of bait and when the tide began to pick up. But since it was teaching trip we moved on to cover water. Ran towards Slp for about 15 minutes, We pulled up to a couple of good winter time areas and worked them over pretty thoroughly when Greg found several very small slicks that I didn't really even notice. We got a ton of shorts on tails and ended up moving after a few minutes realizing they were sand trout and dinks. Only moved
    several hundred yards and we saw tons of bait get destroyed and birds diving pretty obvious sign! For the next hour we caught about 20 trout 15-18 inches with some sand trout mixed in and probably lost at least 10 more. 1 knocker and spook junior caught the majority of specs while soft plastics caught afew but sand trout wouldn't leave them alone.

We ran back east stopping at a few more locations where Capt greg continued to educate for the upcoming months. We set up some drifts at a few of these spots and managed 2 more20-24in reds

Overall it was a great day learned a ton! Capt Francis showed me a lot of areas,was a chill guy to hangout with, and didn't watch the clock. We probably spent 6.5 hours on water for half day rate I highly recommend booking a trip with him. Was very knowledgeable, timely, great fisherman. I'm currently booking another education day around Christmas.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cd1248; November 19, 2016, 02:43 PM.

That's great bro nice catching

Comment

Awesome job!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Great report! Here's the pic so y'all don't have to hold your monitor sideways.
        Attached Files
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

You are a smart guy . Such teaching trips , if one can afford them , will progress your fishing effectiveness by years. That and Tobins trout support dvds will have you borderline pro . When I got my boat , I had THE SWALLOWIST , Steve Soule do the same with me . You will do more trips . Like I said , you are a smart guy . I don't pretend to be any expert on West Bay . You will be far ahead of me when you are done.
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Looking forward to some reports . Like coach said , horizontal camera shots . Take pictures .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

A suggestion .... you mentioned in a previous post you were too nervous to wade with your phone . Think about getting a waterproof camera to document your trips . You seem serious enough at what you do to make that a wise investment . I use to post my trips with a camera and monologue when I had more energy . I've gotten old and decrepid but I'm glad to be able to revisit those trips here if I want to .

Comment

He didn't take the picture he's in the picture... Pimp took that picture just to piss off Sandy LOL.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Glad you had fun and learned some stuff. We highly recommend going with quality guides like Greg after watching the vids. it's just a good combination.
                  TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hogie70 View Post
                    He didn't take the picture he's in the picture... Pimp took that picture just to piss off Sandy LOL.
                    Yes. You are right Hogie. And this is why my picture of the "very lovely" Laureen Tartaglia has never been given consideration for photo of the month. These rules need to change.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                      Yes. You are right Hogie. And this is why my picture of the "very lovely" Laureen Tartaglia has never been given consideration for photo of the month. These rules need to change.
                      I agree !
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

I didn't make the pic of the month rules. I just tried to help people follow them. Now I'm the bad guy.

I'm always happy to flip your pictures for you if I see them sideways.
                        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                          I didn't make the pic of the month rules. I just tried to help people follow them. Now I'm the bad guy.

I'm always happy to flip your pictures for you if I see them sideways.
                          You didn't just try to enforce them. You griped incessantly about everyone that takes pictures in anything other than landscape orientation.
                          Take your ribbing, old man!!

You dang picture taking kids get off my lawn!!

Seriously though. Portrait type pics will not fit on the home page. Therefore we need landscape.
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I tried to use logic to help people take better pictures. I'm a bad person. Smart phones are killing photography. There's a time for portrait pics . . . . aw, never mind. You kids with your Rock and Roll music and your long hair cuts . . . . get off my lawn INDEED!

Comment

I vote for Lauren-just a little too much clothing on though..................................
                              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X