Tarpon in the river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarpon in the river

We were fishing on the Colorado around a mile upstream from the locks at Matagorda on friday night and we were catching a ton of trout. About an hour into catching undersized trout we caught a baby tarpon. It was about a foot long. It hit on the same soft plastic glow we were throwing at the trout. The fact that juvenile inhabit the river is a good sign of a healthy fishery.

Has anyone ever caught tarpon of any size in west bay?
    "I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use the natural resources of our land; but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob, by wasteful use, the generations that come after us."
    -Theodore Roosevely on Conservation

I've heard of a few in Chocolate. I've never caught one.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Caught, make that hooked, one under the Causeway in about 1984 that was around 5' long, made 3 jumps and cut my line on the I-45 piling and saw about a 5-6' near Moses chasing bait by a 'reef' in 1987 or so. One fellow on this site hooked about a 2' one in Chocolate a few years ago.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I have landed 2 in my 12 years fishin' in Titlum-Tatlum. First one was a baby. Second one was over 30 inches. I was PIZZED because I thought I had a world record speck on the line. Tarpon are fun, but they're just big ladyfish.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Pretty wild stuff.

I'm with ya Coach, it'd be fun to catch but then disappointing to have to throw it back.

I hear they're back in a big way almost to what they were in the 50s around Rockport. Nobody down there is really advertising it though, probably for good reason.
          "I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use the natural resources of our land; but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob, by wasteful use, the generations that come after us."
          -Theodore Roosevely on Conservation

Comment

I had a good 30 seconds with one in SLP last summer on my first cast that morning. Couple jumps and a lot of screaming drag before it shook the hook.

Comment

Working...
            X