Tips on Bastrop Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Bastrop Bay?

I'm looking for some new areas to explore...and have heard I need to learn Bastrop Bay.

Can anyone give me some pointers on getting in to Bastrop? Google Earth shows a way in through Mud Cut and one via the ICW. I've read stories about running through Mud Cut and my boat isn't shallow.

It also looks like you better know where you're going once you get in there.

Would appreciate any tips or advice.

- FP

my best tip is don't run thru Mud Cut.

Comment

You can follow me FP but you probably will not make it...

Morning run checking out the low tides. Leaving west bay through Karankawa cut into the ICW

You probably need to run into Cold Pass and run out through Christmas then turn North and take the channel between the house (Camp) and the reef. Look at an aerial and its fairly straight forward. You can take it slow the first time as you establish your track.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I believe that video is the one that made me realize I couldn't get through Mud Cut. Although that looks like an extremely low tide.

So it's quicker to go Cold Pass vs the ICW route? I'm coming from Jamaica Beach and I don't have a trail marked thru to Cold Pass.

Also, the 3/15 Google Earth image looks like there are reefs everywhere when you get up to Bastrop. Guess I should take it slow like you said.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 8.07.29 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	562648

-FP

Comment

Tips on Bastrop Bay?

I'd run ICW if you're coming from Jamaica. Less headache otherwise you'll have to go through SLP, Cold Pass and the cut... lots of obstacles.

That video was coming through Karankawa Cut from West Bay into the ICW. It was super low!! Probably lowest I've seen it and been on the water. I found new holes, guts, and structure that day. They've all paid off too.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks Coe.

Comment

Definitely DO NOT GO THROUGH MUD CUT. If you can make it to the ICW, that's the way to go. Coming through SLP to Cold Pass can be almost as treacherous. Once in Bastrop, just take it slow everywhere until you've got it figured out. Do a lot of drift fishing. That's how I learned it. If you're out here this week, shoot me a PM and I'll show you around.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

True.. end of colds pass at Christmas on low tide is shallow as well. Might be better to take Churchill Bayou out of Colds, then Christmas, then into the cut that goes into Bastrop.. or take the ICW to either the Batrop Bayou entrance (high tide) or the west entrance off the ICW which is a little deeper and not silting in.
                TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

use google earth the program and look at the 2011 photo
                  Attached Files
                  TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

is that picture form the year 2011? Ive been trying to learn Bastrop myself and looking for tips.

Comment

Working...
                    X