West Bay Frustration - Seeking Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay Frustration - Seeking Advice

I've spent most of my time fishing upper Trinity since I started fishing saltwater. I got to the point where I was successful most trips. Recently I have began fishing West Bay since our family has a house in the area now, but I've only had a couple of successful outings so far.

This past weekend baffled me...I fished from Snake Island back to Churchill Bayou. I fished drains and drifted pods of mullet in 4' to 1' of water. I was surrounded by bait, birds, and blow ups but could not get anything to bite. I threw light and dark plastics, varied my retrieve. I even tried fishing with shrimp, crab, and cut shad with no luck. Is fishing just tough right now in this part of the bay? I realize the wind didn't help Saturday but there was still signs of feeding fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site...and to West Bay. I think we've all had outings like your last trip. Sometimes they just don't want to eat.

My advice...keep fishing.

-FP

Comment

They may be out deeper still. I heard good reports from people chunking shrimp over the weekend. How fast were you drifting? Sometimes keeping that bait in the strike zone for an extra few seconds helps.

I agree with FP, we've all had those trips.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thank you both! I was definitely moving pretty quick. The wind was humming.

Comment

Maybe a drift sock next time?
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yes a drift sock is a must for this time of year in west bay. That is an area that receives a lot of pressure as well but if you saw signs of fish then you troubles had to be due to drift speed. get on of the medium size socks and your fortune should change

Comment

Originally posted by catchingking View Post
              Yes a drift sock is a must for this time of year in west bay. That is an area that receives a lot of pressure as well but if you saw signs of fish then you troubles had to be due to drift speed. get on of the medium size socks and your fortune should change
              [emoji106] will do!

Comment

Exactly!
                Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                Maybe a drift sock next time?
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

WELCOME !
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                    WELCOME !
                    Thank you! [emoji106][emoji476]

Comment

They are deeper, the only thing I'm doing in westbay is gigging.
                      "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Working...
                      X