468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outer Banks, North Carolina Anybody been there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Banks, North Carolina Anybody been there?

Summer is beckoning and my wanderlust has returned. Time for a walkabout. Missed this part of the journey from Savannah to NYC when I took a 6 week walkabout in 1997. I had the option of going the Outer Banks, or soaking up the inland history. Well, there was also a girl in Charlotte. But this Summer I'm eyeing the Outer Banks. I plan on heading to Wilmington, stay the night and drive/ferry all the way up the coast on the most eastern roads to Cape May, New Jersey. I'll end up at my brother's place in Northern N.J. to visit the family.

So if anyone has any experiences, please share them. - Sandy
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

My oldest brother who now lives in Beaufort , used to reside in Wilmington . Long years ago I stayed with him . We fished a inner lagoon and gathered small clams from a beach . The region , laced with tall pine trees , reminded me of east Texas without the humidity . Back then , Wilmington was a friendly , quant town where many folks didn't lock their doors . It may not have changed that much . His acre lot bordered a forest reserve and some of the inhabitants were these wretched tiny black flies that had a fierce bite .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Been there many times, home town is Jacksonville NC about 45 minutes up 17 from Wilmington. Ironically, camped here at San Luis Pass Campground now trying to figure out how to catch a Texas trout. Lots of help here on this board - many thanks. Depending on whether or not you're going to fish on the way, and how much map study or route planning you've done there's a lot of beach to wet a line. From Wilmington to Jacksonville on 17, then past Camp Lejuene on 24 to Morehead City (or out on Emerald Isle up through Atlantic Beach) through Beaufort and up to Cedar Island for the ferry over to Okracoke Island. There should still be beach vehicle access on Okracoke to surf fish and then free ferry over to Hateras Island. Beach vehicle access has been and is a contentious issue in NC, like in-shore gill nets and shrimp trawling in the sounds. (another discussion all together) The "point" on Hateras island, as you may know is the eastern most point of land in the United States on the atlantic ocean. Surf fishing meca. Up the coast to the jetties and where Hateras light used to be before it was moved back from the beach and inland on the island. Through Avon, Salvo, Waves Rodanthe, to Oregon inlet, over the Bonner Bridge and up to Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, and over the bridge to the mainland unless you want to stay on the island and go to Duck and Coralla. Into the bottom of Virginia, through Chesapeake, Virginia beach and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel to Virginia's eastern shore out to Ocean City Maryland (unless you want to see Chincoteague and Assateage) up through the twelve miles or so of the atlantic coast of Delaware including indian River Inlet, through Rehoboth to Lewes for the ferry to Cape May. Up the Garden State Parkway to any or all of the coastal towns, islands in New Jersey, (Atlantic City) Finally, by now if it's fall, fish Island Beach State Park and catch a "Stripah", before heading to points north in the lovely Garden State.
      I know you said outer banks, and this is a lot more but any specific fishing info you want in any of the locations mentioned just ask. Hope you have a great trip.

Comment

I know that it's now the only wild home for the red wolf which made their last Stand around the Aransas wildlife refuge.
        "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Been to Morehead City many times while stationed at MCAS Cherry Point. Went to the first annual seafood festival. Great beach and caught a lot of Bluefish and some trout.
          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

My wife's family is from the Pawley's Island area of SC...just south of Myrtle Beach. The "Low Country" they call it. I love that part of the country and the fishing is pretty similar to what we do down here. We catch flounder, reds and specks in the marsh and surf.

- FP

Comment

Dang , mason , you're a fountain of knowledge about such things.
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Yes, sounds like he is. I'll be meeting up with him at the county park later today. If the weather is nice, I'll put him on some trout.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Many many Thanks

After replying to this thread and meeting with the op, his generosity and hospitality at the Blockade Runner proved to be very enjoyable and memorable for all the right reasons. Good company and good fishing. This actually led to my wife and I being able to reciprocate and host he and his family for an evening and the following morning at our home in NC, over some frogmore stew. After both of those visits, I never posted anything here on the board and now have to post a report.
                  The week at SLP RV park provided some good fishing in May and this past week.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_181714.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	562807Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_182040.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	562808

After visiting at the Blockade Runner again and having some Cajun cuisine, we enjoyed the sunset of the week, (maybe the year) and then got one keeper and some throwback trout and a red. Our host caught the largest "sand trout" I've ever seen and returned that to fight another day as well
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_190300.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	562809Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953705.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	562810

Thanks a million Sandy! Hope to be back February time frame or later in the spring next year.
                  As I said a lot of times and will note here again, the fishing in Texas always seems to be ON!

Comment

George, it was my great pleasure to host you and Donna at Blockade Runners. Sorry you didn't catch more fish this time, but it was a really nice trout. The fishing was definitely better for numbers in the early Summer. My whole family really enjoyed our short time with y'all in Jacksonville. Look forward to seeing y'all in February or later. We hope to visit y'all in N.C. again as well. Awesome to meet another great friend, all because of FishWestEnd.

Comment

Nice fish, Sandy is a good dude!
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                      X