Surf Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Report

It's been pretty slow for me the past 3 weeks but last night finally paid off. All I've been catching has been sharks all under 4' and catfish, annoying if you ask me.

2 nights ago I got a late phone call from my buddy Dave who told me he landed a 40" Redfish so I made plans to fish the following night. When I got off work yesterday I went to a spot under a bridge to throw the cast net for some big mullet to fish in the evening. Around 10pm my fiance and I headed to the beach to fish and noticed the tide looked really low. When I was getting in the water to cast out my first set of baits right when I got in I was in thigh high water but after that the first sandbar was ankle high water for a good 50 yards (this costed us a decent redfish)

The first soak of baits was pretty uneventful, nibblers but no takers. I reeled in both rods to rebait and cast out for the 2nd soak. After about 15mins of soaking my first rod goes off. Less than a minute later my second reel starts screaming. I yell over to my fiance and tell her to grab the rod and start fighting the 2nd fish. As I'm getting the first fish in I totally forgot how shallow and long the first sand bar is, I finally realize I need to walk out there to get the fish and once I start getting close to it, the red is basically flopping around in ankle high water, comes off and slips away in the dark... I would guess it was about 30 to 35" Right after blowing that opportunity I run back to my fiance who is struggling with the other fish. I end up taking over for her and after a solid battle we were not gonna make the same mistake so we walk out past the first sandbar to land the fish. I hand her the rod so I can grab the leader and fish to successfully land a 44" redfish. I would not of been able to do it alone so I was damn happy she came out with me. Fishing at night is a lot harder than the day!

I'm headed back home to CA for two weeks or I'd be out there fishing!
    Attached Files
    Joe Whitmore

Nice redfish and narrative to go along with it. Glad to hear the bull reds are making some runs. You ever have much success during the day time, or mostly at night? I use to fish quite a bit for bull reds several years ago on the Bolivar side, but have yet to try it near the Pass. Definitely something I will have to do this fall.

Comment

Awesome trip. Losing and catching are all good fish tales. Congrats. Sounds like you have a great fishing partner.
      Keith Bodine 1st Cav 1966-1967
      RVN A/229th AHB/Door Gunner
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! This is only my 3rd ever redfish, my first one was 48" landed around 4pm, my second was 50" landed around 12 noon, and this one I landed right around midnight. My buddy Dave says this time of year he does well late night so I had to give it a shot.
        Joe Whitmore

Comment

That's great !
          Night fishing can be erie .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Good job buddy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great report & nice catch!
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
              X