My first "real" trip to the surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first "real" trip to the surf

I've not really been a big surf fishing guy...it seems that every time the surf conditions are "cherry" I can't resist the call of a smooth bay.

Saturday morning I decided to give it a go as the forecast looked perfect. Hit the beach solo in front of Jamaica Beach around 5:45a. Was greeted by a slight north breeze and smooth conditions...Just me and 50+ people who had the same idea. It was literally elbow to elbow as far as I could see in both directions.

Started by throwing a pink and chrome Super Spook...had one slap at it but that was it. After about 45 mins of nothing, I switched to a soft plastic on 1/8 oz head and started catching a few sand trout. Hooked 1 trout that might have been a keeper but lost it at hand. Called it a day around 8:30a. Saw a couple of people pull some stringers out...but nothing more than 2 or 3 fish and most people I saw didn't have anything.

At least I got out there and gave it a go.

Crazy thing happened to the guy next to me who was also fishing solo...I saw him catch what looked to be a gafftop. He was fishing a mirrolure. I look over and see him heading back in to shore and thought maybe he had a keeper trout and was taking it in. A few mins later I look back and see the dude laying in the water's edge not moving. His rod was in the sand next to him and I thought for sure he had a heart attack or something. So I make my way back in to the shore, he's now moving a little but still doesn't look right. I walk up on him and ask if he's ok...he rolled over and was white as a ghost. Blood running down his hand, barely able to speak. Long story short...the gafftop got him right in the meat of his thumb. He was in shock and just kept asking for water. He finally got out that the pain in his arm was unbearable. He was in bad shape.

I called JB EMS who were there in minutes. They checked him out pretty good and talked him in to a trip to the ER. I hope he's on the mend.

I go fishing by myself quite a bit...that experience was a reminder that crazy things can happen on the water. I'm just glad I was there to make the call for him.

Be safe, y'all.

-FP

Was that the reason for all of the emergency vehicles down towards the State Park side of Jamaica Beach access area?
    A lot of EMS showed up! I was further to the west and could see the vehicles.
    Glad he is OK!
    I hope you are around if I need help. We got to take care of each other.
    Way to go!

Comment

[QUOTE=52M-28;364179]Was that the reason for all of the emergency vehicles down towards the State Park side of Jamaica Beach access area?

Yep. I was fishing to the east of the main entrance to JB. Down by the State Park. They brought the calvary to respond to the call.

Comment

Way to help out. Thanks for being a good guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job FlyPelican!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah , I had a zero surf trip myself Friday but I didn't have the opportunity to render assistance to a downed fellow plugger . A gafftop fin is sharper than a stilleto and covered in bacteria . I'd turn white too , but , he wasn't in shock because if so he'd be asking for alcohol not water. At least , I'd be asking for alcohol. Now that I think about it , I'd ask for alcohol under any circumstance good or bad. I just think it's foolish to ask for water without asking for alcohol first . Who knows , you might get lucky . You know in the old movies the care givers would give the fallen a swallow of brandy to revive them . A medical practice that I personally think should be restored . I mean , if the Swiss would deploy a Saint Bernard to the alps with a miny cast of brandy attached to his collar , we should consider a Bay Watch type beach patrol armed with tequila shots is all I'm saying. What's this thread suppose to be about again ?
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice going, Mr. Fly. You never know what to expect when you see a man down on the beach...ive been stuck a time or three and it ain't no picnic...tight lines.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Comment

Crazy thing happened to the guy next to me who was also fishing solo...I saw him catch what looked to be a gafftop. He was fishing a mirrolure.

Long time ago I was wade fishing at the old HL&P spillway in Baytown. All of a sudden the guy next to me screamed and started thrashing in the water. Several of us helped him to shore and one of them went for help. No cell phones back then. The guy had caught a gaftop and put it on a stringer tied to his pants. The fish stuck him in the leg and the blood was gushing. By the time an ambulance got there he was getting into bad shape. My first thought was I hope he's going to be ok. My second thought was I'm glad it wasn't me the fish stuck. It was nearly elbow to elbow there too. Glad yours got quick assistance.
                  Keith Bodine 1st Cav 1966-1967
                  RVN A/229th AHB/Door Gunner
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hacksaw View Post
                    The guy had caught a gaftop and put it on a stringer tied to his pants. The fish stuck him in the leg and the blood was gushing. By the time an ambulance got there he was getting into bad shape..
                    What a dumb as$$

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                      What a dumb as$$
                      Yeah, that was mentioned too...
                      Keith Bodine 1st Cav 1966-1967
                      RVN A/229th AHB/Door Gunner
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X