Fishing the surf when it's rough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing the surf when it's rough?

Just moved here from Florida for work. Fished the bay in Destin for nearly 15 years catching specks and reds drifting over flats throwing live bait and various lures. We fished the surf for bull reds in the fall and pompano in the spring but it is unheard of to catch trout in the surf. Decided to give it a try here near Jamaica beach for the past few weekends and have limited out 2/3 times with 7 fish on the "off-day", throwing hard plastic suspenders/spoons. I still find it crazy to catch specks off the beach. It has been mostly flat every time ive been, thinking about trying tomorrow but it looks really choppy on the cams. Are the fish there when it's rough, or is it time to hit the bay?

Couple friends of mine have gotten in not so flat surf. I rarely fish the surf but they have gotten em. I fish the bay and I took 3 people out last weekend who have never fished the area before and they ended up with trout up to 24" and couple solid reds. Welcome to fish west end!!! Good people here.
    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Man, I've caught trout in the surf at Perdido Key, Pensacola Beach, Panama City Beach, and my personal best 28.5 incher at St. George's Island. Am I just lucky? I never went more than knee deep as I was alone. I remember the surf was really crashing at St. George's that morning. I never got my feet wet until I released that monster. Always threw double shad rigs and later sparkle beetles and cocahoes. I'd nail 'em. Lots of channel mullet too (whiting). I thought that was weird as I couldn't catch those at home in La. without bait of some kind to sweeten the hook.

That being said, welcome aboard. There's a wealth of knowledge here on surf fishing. Just not from me. Here you've got to wade all the way out there to catch anything of note. I'm skeered of sharks and rays. Had an unfortunate "incident" once.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Welcome aboard! You can catch trout in the surf smooth or choppy; It's just a lot easier when it's smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Welcome !
          It can be green and flat with bait and not have trout around but those are the conditions in which you are most likely to catch trout . Rough and dirty water is hard on the fisherman and greatly lessens the chances of catching trout. .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
          X