CooCoo for Chocolate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CooCoo for Chocolate

As many of you guys know I fish Chocolate frequently in a Kayak (NFIC )and today was one of those days that everything did not go my way, and that's ok. I've been chasing those Baby Tarpon in the Bayou and here for the last 3weeks,they have not been cooperative. The only fish I caught were 7 under sized specks, a small Bass, and 2 rat Reds. This morning was real foggy and cool, a eerily beautiful morning. Hit some spots that have paid off in the past but no keepers. Anyhow, I was chunking a Purple Reign DSL and caught all my fish on that bait.

Paddled to a spot that is frequently fished by others when the fishing is good in the Bayou and chunked that lure near the bank of a high bluff bank and WHAM!-I thought I hooked another Baby Poon but no, believe it or not it was about a 30+ Inch Snook! That booger jumped 3-4 foot n the air several times. I've been catching some this year, even caught a slot but nothing like this beast. So I play her out for a couple of minutes and go to lip her and she jumps one more time, throws the hook... I was disappointed but I re-tied as those fish have some serious gill plates and my leader was trashed. Chunked back in the same place-BAM! Another Snook about 20+inches. Same deal happened with that one too.

My thinker cap was getting heavy on my head-I believe I hooked 2 Snook that were spawning. Could be wrong but with all the Tarpon and Snook I've been catching, I'm a believer. If we have another mild Winter, I believe that next year some one could actually target these linesiders somewhat consistently. Sorry for the long post, I had to share. Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Bayou Burner; October 13, 2017, 01:42 PM.
    "Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."
    -John Wayne

Cool! That would be some fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks for the post! I actually appreciate the long and descriptive posts. I am at work while reading this and for a moment I was right there with you watching this scene unfurl in my mind. Thanks for the report and please keep the detailed reports coming bro!

Comment

Seems to be more than normal amount of snook being caught lately. There's been reports from the Sargent/Matagorda area too. Great job hooking a couple, next time you'll get them.

Comment

Ain't nuthin' wrong with a good long-winded post like dat. I've never caught a snook. 30+ is AWESOME!
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Thanks for the replies! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night! I'm going back for round 2 early in the morning.
            -John Wayne

Comment

Great post and lots of detail. nice work
              TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

I’m having fun just reading! Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice to read your reports. Also great to see a variety of things to come. Hopefully get me one of those snook and mark it off my list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah , I appreciate the descriptive long report , especially on a not so stellar a day . Keep it up .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Are snook good eatin'?

Comment

Delicious, but it'd be a shame to kill one caught up here, since they're kind of unusual. They're more fun to catch!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2819.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	562820Caught another one last Friday afternoon-23" CPR'D
                          -John Wayne

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	562824One more this afternoon. 24"
                            -John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                            X