shipping a rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping a rod

What is the best way to package a rod? I'm shipping a rod to Florida and need advice on the safest way to package it so it won't break. Thanks.
    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Any I’ve ever gotten shipped have been in one of those long cardboard tubes with foam pipe insulation around the rod in several places and on the ends of the tube to keep it from moving in there.
    They also sell plastic tubes for them that I’ve packed in for vacation etc. academy used to have them.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
      Any I’ve ever gotten shipped have been in one of those long cardboard tubes with foam pipe insulation around the rod in several places and on the ends of the tube to keep it from moving in there.
      They also sell plastic tubes for them that I’ve packed in for vacation etc. academy used to have them.
      Thanks
      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I always use PVC pipe with caps on the end. That's how Kistler ships. You can bubble wrap so it's tight in the tube... That cardboard can be crushed.
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

PVC

Comment

you can buy one of those cheap rod holders tubes thats adjustable as to length from Academy. I have one that Ive used a few times when I fly/travel with rods. Its very light weight and thats why I like it vs PVC. If you are carrying 3-4 rods you need about a 6"inch wide pvc thats 8 foot long and that gets heavy and you can't adjust it length wise.

Comment

Thanks for the info
              Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

The ones I have had custom built from BillyStix were shipped to me in PVC tubes with the rod wrapped with newspaper inside the PVC to cushion it and the ends of the PVC sealed/taped.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  I always use PVC pipe with caps on the end. That's how Kistler ships. You can bubble wrap so it's tight in the tube... That cardboard can be crushed.
                  yep, this is the safest for sure and just about the same cost as cardboard tube.

remember to put some cushion materials on both ends so the tip doesn't get jammed into the top of the tube.
                  TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

PVC is the best.
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                      you can buy one of those cheap rod holders tubes thats adjustable as to length from Academy. I have one that Ive used a few times when I fly/travel with rods. Its very light weight and thats why I like it vs PVC. If you are carrying 3-4 rods you need about a 6"inch wide pvc thats 8 foot long and that gets heavy and you can't adjust it length wise.
                      Yeah that would be heavy, but it is adjustable just use two pipe sections. One slips into the other.
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

the cardboard tubes work fine if you can find them. I shipped one back a month ago using 3" irrigation pipe. It's much lighter than standard pvc and works just fine. Normally the post office or UPS store will provide the packing to secure the rod. They will charge you by weight and length so keep that in mind and if you choose to buy pvc most likely the rod will not come back with the pvc tube you purchased. It's basically a throw away. At least that has been my experience with G-Loomis.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Gonna use pvc
                          Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Working...
                          X