Non-fishing question about "laminated support beams" for catwalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-fishing question about "laminated support beams" for catwalk

I have a random question that perhaps one of you knows something about. We are currently looking to build a small pool at our West Galveston bayhouse. It would be located in an area underneath the current catwalk that connects the house to the deck above the boat house. The catwalk is currently supported by two "traditional" wood pilings (see photo for visual). Up until now, most of the pool designers have given us estimates with pool designs that go around these support pilings. Today, one pool builder asked if I had considered removing the two wood pilings and instead install two horizontal laminated support beams for the catwalk. This would completely open up the area for more pool/patio space , which I like. At the same it, though I know nothing about construction related topics, it seems like this would be less stable than the traditional vertical wood piling supports??? Anyone else have experience with laminated support beams holding up their catwalks instead of pilings or just more general knowledge than I have? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	577365

I don't think it would be less stable.. they are called engineered beams for a reason. What you might look at though is that no one that I've seen uses them exteriorly on the coast.. granted probably dont have to, but you might look at painted steel instead.. you'll have to do upkeep on either one of course. Wood, you'll have to keep them coated to keep the moisture out, and steal you'll have to keep painted to keep the moisture from rusting it.
    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

How far is the span from the house to the boat house? I'm sure you can get a beam to carry the load for the catwalk. Have you talked with an engineer yet? The pilings are the more traditional & cheaper method but there are other options like Tobin referenced.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        How far is the span from the house to the boat house? I'm sure you can get a beam to carry the load for the catwalk. Have you talked with an engineer yet? The pilings are the more traditional & cheaper method but there are other options like Tobin referenced.
        The total span is about 20 feet. We haven't spoken to an engineer yet but that will probably be one of the next steps should be decide to pursue that option. I thought there was a chance someone on here had seen that before so thought I would check. I actually mentioned it to one of the one of the other pool companies who is giving us an estimate and the response was that it was an "awesome idea"... probably because they could build a bigger pool. Anyway, thanks for the initial feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfish Cowboy View Post
          The total span is about 20 feet. We haven't spoken to an engineer yet but that will probably be one of the next steps should be decide to pursue that option. I thought there was a chance someone on here had seen that before so thought I would check. I actually mentioned it to one of the one of the other pool companies who is giving us an estimate and the response was that it was an "awesome idea"... probably because they could build a bigger pool. Anyway, thanks for the initial feedback.

Probably a K brace would work...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MHLS1000_app-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	562865
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
          X