Bait fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait fish

My canal lights are full of tiny bait fish. So many they look like a cloud. What are they?

Probably baby shad

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck06R1 View Post
      Probably baby shad
      X2...that time if year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

lights are full of them.

Comment

Could be glass minnows as well.
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Both... the glass minnows are little minnow shaped and the shad (menhaden) are shad or oval shaped.
            TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Menhaden usually this time of year. They'll all die shortly and turn canal water a dark brown.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

These baitfish "blooms" can be really good for night fishing in your canal by the way... especially when they get to about the half inch size. The redfish and trout in our canal like to gorge themselves on them at night and early morning. It can make for some pretty exciting feeding displays. Here is a site you want to see...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5042.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	562891Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5043.PNG
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	562892Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5045.PNG
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	562893

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfish Cowboy View Post
                  These baitfish "blooms" can be really good for night fishing in your canal by the way... especially when they get to about the half inch size. The redfish and trout in our canal like to gorge themselves on them at night and early morning. It can make for some pretty exciting feeding displays. Here is a site you want to see...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]33894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33896[/ATTACH]
                  Glass minnows, I have a few big circles in my lights, been takin my fly rod out at night and nailing the trout and the occasional red in them

Comment

Originally posted by westbaytroutassasin View Post
                    Glass minnows, I have a few big circles in my lights, been takin my fly rod out at night and nailing the trout and the occasional red in them
                    You know I have thought about breaking out my fly rod too to make things interesting and since they tend to prefer smaller baits when they are feeding on these small baitfish. What flies do you typically use in this situation.. small clouser minnows?

Comment

Working...
                    X