SLP fishing newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP fishing newbie

Hey Guys - This is my first post so be gentle. I am planning on taking a few guys to SLP for the first time to wade fish on the bay (galveston) side, just through the pass, and want to know if you all think the bay side is a safe place to go considering how dangerous the area has been. I assume the fishing is good considering all the tires tracks seen on google earth. Thanks in advance

Three letters PFD. Better safe than a sinker...you gotta be cautious with ol San luis. Never had a prob myself but one step can be a drop off more than you want and if the current is ripping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
      Three letters PFD. Better safe than a sinker...you gotta be cautious with ol San luis. Never had a prob myself but one step can be a drop off more than you want and if the current is ripping.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I fished the back side of the pass a couple of weeks ago...the incoming current was RIPPING through there. Like, hard to walk in waist deep water ripping.

As Walkinwader suggested, wear a PFD!

-FP

Comment

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I may steer clear of SLP on this trip given the info. The other two guys have only been wade fishing once before. I have heard ok things about wading at the end of sportsmans road, may try there..never been. Any advice on that area? Not pot licking, just asking for general info.

Thanks again - If I catch anything I will be sure to report back!

Comment

Haven't been down there in a while myself...it can be a good spot. Fish the bay side more inland than right at the pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen2374 View Post
              Thanks guys - much appreciated. I may steer clear of SLP on this trip given the info. The other two guys have only been wade fishing once before. I have heard ok things about wading at the end of sportsmans road, may try there..never been. Any advice on that area? Not pot licking, just asking for general info.

Thanks again - If I catch anything I will be sure to report back!
              I would agree.. the SLP area is probably not the greatest location for relatively novice wade fisherman, especially if you are near the main channel or close to the deeper guts. I do know a lot of people wade the flats out to the right of the pass (highlighted) in the attached photo. My uncle and cousin will park on the street of the subdivision in that area and wade straight out from shore. I believe there is a gut that runs in that area that they usually fish towards. As other said definitely wear PFD when fishing this area regardless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLP wading area.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	562908

Comment

Working...
              X