Afternoon Delight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon Delight

Wife out of town, boss on vacation, treated myself to “early-work-release-day”!! Left 2004 dock at 4:30. Water looked pretty crappy, and where it wasn’t muddy from the wind, it was pretty “tea-stained” from freshwater......nice outgoing tide though. Been a while since I’ve been out, so decided to stay in the boat and cover as much ground as I could. One 19.5” red on the ONLY bite I got up to about 6:30. Completely dead. Saw a couple of small slicks pop up along the shoreline I was working, but no customers. Then saw a couple of splashes come from a current line in the water and thought I’d investigate. Positioned myself where I could throw across current line, and BAM! Trout......dropped the power pole to hold my spot, and thought I’d cast there again, because I have often times picked up another fish in close proximity. Next cast.....BAM.....another trout, but a tail biter......missed her......Was throwing a saltwater assassin 4” sea shad in red/gold shiner on 1/8oz jug head. After missing three or four I said “alright you sneaky little $&@^*%, no more Bill Dance Lip-rippin” ( I like to talk out loud to fish when fishing, and Houston drivers when driving)!! [emoji23] So next fish, when I felt the thump and the line get tight, I just started reeling in and holding the rod TIGHT.....no hookset at all. Fish on, hooked in the roof of her mouth, right where the gills start. Kept throwing in the EXACT same spot, same action, fish in the boat every time. Throw to the left, or to the right, and nothing......but right in the same spot and BAM. They must’ve been stacked in that little gut like cord wood. Long-story-short, 10 trout, 15” to 16.5” and only two undersized in about an hour. Also changed baits once because the saltwater assassins are pretty soft and was coming apart. They didn’t want anything else, so went back to SA and BAM!! Was a blast, and sure is “Cheaper than Therapy!!” Tight Lines!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Be good to me Lord.....for the bay is so big, and my boat is so small"

Nice meat haul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Cupboard was BARE!!

Comment

Well done ! Thanks for the interesting in depth report .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Couple more “Evening Delights” in the last few weeks. Two trips, late evening on outgoing tide, same exact spot (I know what you’re thinking, but “there’s no fish in Chocolate”). Mostly on Saltwater Assassins, all on plastic.

Comment

What fun !
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great Report.
              "Our most great and glorious achievement is to live our life fishingly"

Comment

Great report. Felt like I was right there with you.

Good stuff.

-FP

Comment

Great job, you have to take advantage of opportunities like that!!

Sent from my 5056N using Tapatalk
                  "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Your report highlights the importance of keeping your head on a swivel and looking for sign of fish and for fish slick smell , diving gulls , nervous water and fleeing bait. A shoreline splash and a tide line splash made all the difference in your catching fish . Well done .

Comment

Working...
                    X