468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snook Success on the West End of . . . . Florida.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snook Success on the West End of . . . . Florida.

Had a great couple of mornings fishing with an old college buddy this weekend. I nabbed some trout and a nice red yesterday, but the snook eluded me. Did y'all know these poor people here can only keep ONE redfish per day????

This morning it finally happened. Just before we were chased off the water by a thunderstorm, this bruiser whacked my bait right under a dock. Talk about a fight! 32 inches, my very first snook. Mission accomplished, but I think I'll have to come back and do this again.

Yesterday I saw a BIG loggerhead turtle and we also sighted a group of 3 manatee that swam right under the boat. That was pretty cool. I hadn't seen one since SLP in '07. The pictures didn't come out too well, so I just posted one of them. You can make out the manatee's tail for sure.

On another note: This morning, this Democrat landed on the back of the boat and started sharing our hard caught bait wealth right out of the live well. LOL! He was brazen.
    Attached Files
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Nice feetch, Hoss! One off the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Excellent catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! I'm headed to Key Largo in a couple of weeks...hoping to get a snook checked off my list as well.

-FP

Comment

Cool Sandy ! Thanks for sharing and the pictures . Did you get to keep the snook ?
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Season is closed until Sept. 1st. , so I didn't get to keep her. He had one in the freezer though. We had a big Sunday supper with both by buddy and his wife's parents and their kids. I did grilled redfish on the halfshell with a shrimp and trout topping. He fried some "Speckled Perch" whatever those are, they were great, and his wife broiled the formerly frozen snook. It was excellent! I got invited back again next year.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Nice catch! Snook are fun to catch. I have only caught 1, a 29.5 incher on an ultra-lite. It was quite the battle. Glad the trip is going well!

Comment

Great pics Sandy. That bird has some nerve.

Comment

Very nice. Looks like a lot of fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great job Sandy! Snook is still on my bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice work! Y’all know I loves me some Snooks!
                      "Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."
                      -John Wayne

Comment

Yeah , snook and manatee are on my bucket list . What does snook taste like .... chicken ? No , really , is it similar to speckled trout you would say ?
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Given that it was a lot thicker than a speck, I'd say the meat was a tad more firm than trout, but very white and flaky. Tasted like a great fish to me. I also ate wahoo for the first time at a restaurant that had been featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. Had Pompano en papillot at the Columbia Restaurant that was awesome. Also ate some very good mullet. I know y'all will give me heck for it, but mullet is really good to eat. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Comment

Working...
                          X