Auto Bilge Pump Failure - Lessons Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Bilge Pump Failure - Lessons Learned

Well something must not be right lately, too many stories! You can add the Reel Estate to the list of boats that have had issues on the open water during these last few weeks.

The trip started out great with nice seas all the way to our fishing grounds some 60 miles out of Freeport. We made 3-4 drifts and boxed three solid snapper and a grouper. The wind and current were working in different directions making drifting fun. We changed up tactics and went to squid just before someone hit the fan and kicked up the seas. We kept fishing throwing back keepers trying to get some AJ’s and larger snapper.

We ended a drift and I put the motors in gear and noticed we were listing to the port. I did a full circle thinking the waves and winds were causing us to lean during the maneuver. I turned back to the other direction and had the same list.

Immediately I knew something wasn’t right, so I pointed the bow toward home and had Redfish Rob take the helm as I went back to the port hatch. I opened it and see water higher than I have ever seen it before. I hit the bilge switch. Then stood there for a second perplexed as to why it had not come on earlier, it worked fine 5 days ago! The float always comes on. The world cat has these wonderful Armstrong hatches and when we drift we do get some water. But why this much?! I double check and look over the side and confirm water is coming out of the discharge.

Let me pause and say earlier this week, actually Monday morning I put a request in at the marina to have high water alarms installed. This is in the works, just not complete yet. Go figure!!!

So there I am now opening each hatch on the port side and my buddy says hey you’re bleeding. Sure enough I had sliced my finger pretty good somewhere in the bilge or while opening hatches. I wrapped it with a towel and decided it would be a good idea to have them take over the inspection as I directed them to each access hatch.

I went ahead and made a call on 16 to the USCG but did not hear a response. I grabbed the sat phone and got in touch with them and gave them a run down of our current situation. I actually think the number I called was not the dispatch because the officer had to relay the info to them after we concluded our call. I’ll need to double check my emergency call list and update it.

While on the phone we determined the bilge pump was keeping up and perhaps it filled up from our drifting and thus not an active leak via a thru hull etc. Still at an unacceptable level we kept the bow pointed back towards home.

It took the bilge about 20 minutes to empty the sponson. We put some more throttle to the engines and planed out. I kept switching the bilge pumps on our whole way back to make sure we were dry.

Once we got around 40 miles out we heard the coast guard reporting our vessel as taking on water. We hailed them and gave them an update and that we appeared to be back to normal & were headed in as a precaution. I contacted them again when we hit the jetty and then finally once at the marina. Thank you coast guard!

I’m thankful it was not worse and caught it when I did. It was a no brainer on cutting the day short given the situation. Plenty of more opportunities ahead.

Lessons learned... double check your float switch before you leave port. And go ahead & flip on the bilge switch every 10 minutes while drifting.

Thanks and stay safe out there.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Man glad everything came out alright and ya'll made it back. I can imagine how scary that was seeing a boat full of water. Hope the boat and your injury comes out ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad everything worked out and made it back safely.

Sent from my 5056N using Tapatalk
      "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Crazy man! Thanks for the lessons learned.

- FP

Comment

Glad you noticed the list when you did. Sat phone? Dang, you got all the fancy goodies.

"Nowadays these kids, they bring out everything. Radar, sonar, . . . electric toothbrushes." - Quint
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Yikes ! I’m really glad you didn’t have to swim back .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Glad you're ok. So what was the failure... where was the leak from?
              TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Glad you stayed dry and made it back ok.

I had a similar experience years ago with a Mako that had a low cut transom. From time to time (when drifting or tied off to a rig) water would splash over the transom and would trickle into the inner hull through some crappy inspection plates. We fell asleep tied off to a rig only to wake up and find 3-inches of water in the bottom of the boat. Scared the hell out of me. I turned on a secondary bilge pump, but at that time the water was splashing over the back of the boat rather routinely. We quickly cranked up the outboard, reeled our lines up, disconnected from the rig and hit the throttle. We couldn't get on a plane, but it kept the water from splashing over the back of the boat. Took about 20 minutes before we could plane out. I learned the same lesson, kick on your manual bilge pump every once in a while just to make sure water is not accumulating in the hull and don't rely on a float switch.

Comment

Originally posted by TroutSupport View Post
                  Glad you're ok. So what was the failure... where was the leak from?
                  Armstrong rear hatch in the splash wells. It's a fatal design flaw on the World Cat. The auto bilge never came on and I didn't notice until it was at an unsafe level.

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                  Glad you noticed the list when you did. Sat phone? Dang, you got all the fancy goodies.
                  Safety first Sandy.

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                  Yikes ! I’m really glad you didn’t have to swim back .
                  Me too but very glad if it came down to that that I had a life raft on board & EPIRB. Safety Safety Safety!

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
                  Man glad everything came out alright and ya'll made it back. I can imagine how scary that was seeing a boat full of water. Hope the boat and your injury comes out ok.
                  Pretty scary & probably the reason I cut myself racing around trying to find the leak. Finger is healing nicely it certainly could have used a stitch or two.
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Wow. Good catch. That was a pretty scary situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Last Fall, I backed my little tinny in and the "big" motor wouldn't start. By the time I messed with it, I had a couple of inches of water on the deck. Of course, I had left the plug out! The ..manual..pump would have taken care of it if I hadn't been distracted by the "big" engine not starting. Duh....

I added an ...automatic.... bilge pump the next weekend. Thinking of putting a secondary pump an inch above the auto pump switch as a double protector.

But, anything can, and will fail. I like the pre-check procedure and will add it to my list.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        Well something must not be right lately, too many stories! You can add the Reel Estate to the list of boats that have had issues on the open water during these last few weeks.

The trip started out great with nice seas all the way to our fishing grounds some 60 miles out of Freeport. We made 3-4 drifts and boxed three solid snapper and a grouper. The wind and current were working in different directions making drifting fun. We changed up tactics and went to squid just before someone hit the fan and kicked up the seas. We kept fishing throwing back keepers trying to get some AJ’s and larger snapper.

We ended a drift and I put the motors in gear and noticed we were listing to the port. I did a full circle thinking the waves and winds were causing us to lean during the maneuver. I turned back to the other direction and had the same list.

Immediately I knew something wasn’t right, so I pointed the bow toward home and had Redfish Rob take the helm as I went back to the port hatch. I opened it and see water higher than I have ever seen it before. I hit the bilge switch. Then stood there for a second perplexed as to why it had not come on earlier, it worked fine 5 days ago! The float always comes on. The world cat has these wonderful Armstrong hatches and when we drift we do get some water. But why this much?! I double check and look over the side and confirm water is coming out of the discharge.

Let me pause and say earlier this week, actually Monday morning I put a request in at the marina to have high water alarms installed. This is in the works, just not complete yet. Go figure!!!

So there I am now opening each hatch on the port side and my buddy says hey you’re bleeding. Sure enough I had sliced my finger pretty good somewhere in the bilge or while opening hatches. I wrapped it with a towel and decided it would be a good idea to have them take over the inspection as I directed them to each access hatch.

I went ahead and made a call on 16 to the USCG but did not hear a response. I grabbed the sat phone and got in touch with them and gave them a run down of our current situation. I actually think the number I called was not the dispatch because the officer had to relay the info to them after we concluded our call. I’ll need to double check my emergency call list and update it.

While on the phone we determined the bilge pump was keeping up and perhaps it filled up from our drifting and thus not an active leak via a thru hull etc. Still at an unacceptable level we kept the bow pointed back towards home.

It took the bilge about 20 minutes to empty the sponson. We put some more throttle to the engines and planed out. I kept switching the bilge pumps on our whole way back to make sure we were dry.

Once we got around 40 miles out we heard the coast guard reporting our vessel as taking on water. We hailed them and gave them an update and that we appeared to be back to normal & were headed in as a precaution. I contacted them again when we hit the jetty and then finally once at the marina. Thank you coast guard!

I’m thankful it was not worse and caught it when I did. It was a no brainer on cutting the day short given the situation. Plenty of more opportunities ahead.

Lessons learned... double check your float switch before you leave port. And go ahead & flip on the bilge switch every 10 minutes while drifting.

Thanks and stay safe out there.
                        Good thing you were paying attention to details, capt. You get no do overs 70 miles from nowhere...Glad you made it in safe!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Comment

I do not rely on auto bilge pumps and every time while fishing I hit the manual switch on my bilge pump about every hour. I would suggest that at least once an hour run and test the pump. You never know, a livewell hose or pump may have come loose and you're filling up your boat-or in your case, a defective hatch.

Glad you figured it out.
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                          X