Your 2 cents needed...Pickin a new reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 2 cents needed...Pickin a new reel

I have been an ambassador 5500 with 12 lb mono man all my life. A cousin of mine has sworn by newer low pro models with braid. Debating switching it up. Curado(clueless on all the models)..or a Lews(heard mixed reports on these as in wnt last long)...or go with old faithful and grab another 5500c3. My pops always told me why fix somethin that aint broken. Well, she aint broken, just some tlc.... but wanna treat myself for once. Gearing up for a trip to POC next month. Super pumped!
    Your thoughts/recommendations on baitcasters???
    if i dnt catch dinner, i will catch a buzz. it works out!

I'm from East of the Sabine, so I say get a spinning rig and never look back.

That being said, the only upside down sideways backlasher I could ever throw without a backlash every time was the Shimano Citica. It was ok, but you still couldn't throw it worth a darn into the wind. I gave it to Primer. I went back to my Penn 5500 SS made in the USA eggbeater. I'm glad I tried baitcasting. Now I KNOW I was right in the first place.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Probably going to get a ton of opinions on this. Personally, I like Concepts. Both Shimano and Lew's make excellent reels.

Comment

1st off.. Please for the love of all that's holy, please don't listen to Coachlaw. If you look him up in the dictionary, as soon as you get to the page you time warp back to 1981. Nothing new or efficient can ever be a good thing..

2nd.. I was also an ambassador 5500 guy for years but they do NOT hold up in the salt. Plus the increased distance, gear ratio and smoothness of operation of a more modern design is not something you want to sacrifice -- Especially if you are a wader. I've been a Shimano guy for a while now but I like the LEWS and even the ambassador REVO's. All good reels that will live a long life in the salt if you take care of them. Jump into one of the new ones.. Yeah they cost a bit more but they're worth it..

AS to the Braid.. bleh.. I like plain old 12 or 14 lb test blue Stren mono. I have used braid and still do for some applications (horsing reds out of the marsh grass) but it's not my go to.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Can’t go wrong with Shimano. Go to FTU or Academy and play around with a few in your price range.

I watched a YouTube video from Shimano Factory on how to clean the reels after every use. I do it religiously and have found that keeps me from having to get them serviced as often.

-FP

Comment

Shimano, Lew's, Concept 13-all good-just $$$ is the main difference. Any reel will crap out if not maintained after each use. Don't dunk in saltwater. I spray with a light lubricant, like Remoil, after each use, wipe with a cloth. My fav is the old Curado 200 B series-the old green one when they first came out. I had a Lews BB1NG when they first came out but it rusted up-that is not the same reel as touted nowadays. I do like my concept 13 but ya gotta getthe saltwater version (if such a thing).
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I agree with everything and everyone. I prefer Shimano cause thats what I've been fishin with since I got out of the 5000 Garcia many moons ago. Pick your price range and check em out and see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by walkinwader View Post
                I agree with everything and everyone. I prefer Shimano cause thats what I've been fishin with since I got out of the 5000 Garcia many moons ago. Pick your price range and check em out and see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                FINALLY, someone West of the Sabine who admits to agreeing with me.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

My favorite is the Shimano Chronarch G but like the Curado also. Shimano all the way.
                  20lb braid only for me.
                  I throw artificials almost exclusively. If you are fishing live bait you can get away with the old 5500 a lot easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

For the money, I think Shimano would be the better option out of the 2 brands listed. Personally, I think the Shimanos in the $150-$200 range will be smoother than the Lew's in the same price point. Over $200 and now the Lew's get into their better reels.

The Concept A is a good option in the sub $200 range. The Concept Z (if you can handle the color) is also a good reel at $200.

Comment

I second the Chronarch. I have tried many different baitcasters in the $200 range and for the most part all of them were decent reels. But the chronarch is my favorite. I've been using it for years and it just keeps going.

Comment

Back in it's time the 5000 and 5500 were the best. Still have 2 of mine in a display case. I went to the Lew's Childress Speed spool years ago, still have 1 of those. I now use the new Lew's Inshore and a concept c and Z. I have no complaints on any of them. Use 15lb mono on the lews and braid on the concepts. Also have 2 Lews spinning reels, depending on the occasion which one I use. Just find something you like and do a lil cleaning after each trip you will be fine

Comment

I have Garcia Revo and Lew's . What I like about them is they stay dry . I stopped using Shimano years ago because they always had water inside after fishing . Also , both have a magnetic spool adjustment which allows one to easily adjust the spool tension with a turn of the dial . You can easily cast with the wind to your back and adjust the dial and cast into the wind and back again in no time .
                          Get a Lew's in the $100 range . It's a fine , small reel and you are not breaking the bank to experiment with a bait caster .
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                          X