Too new to know better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too new to know better

I’m new to West Bay. Looking forward to learning the waters, and being a good neighbor.

I’m breaking in a new motor and want to run around on plane for an hour. But reading about all the hazards makes me wonder if that’s a smart thing to try to do in the bay. Any advice on it? I want to get the running done before I start putting around to start finding things out for myself.

I’d be coming out of the Jamaica Beach channel. I draw about 10 inches. On the maps, the open area north of Carancahua Reef looks likely, for big lazy circles. But coming straight out the channel and turning northward means crossing those Carancahua outliers there, Car. #3 and #4 on Hook N Line. Are those shallow?

And what’s up with all the submerged piles showing everywhere on the map? Are they really there?

Could really use some help to know if this is an okay thing for a newbie to try. I want to break the motor IN, not risk breaking it off.

Thanks!

Safe bet is to make your way across to the intracoastal and run a half hour down and back if you’re unfamiliar with the bay.

There are plenty of open areas to run down south of where you’re coming out but yes there are obstructions of which you need to be aware. I suggest after you get your breaking-in done, you spend a few low tide days out there puttering around and marking stuff on the GPS. Another option would be to hire Greg Francis “aquapimp” to take you on a bay learning trip. Saltwater assault is his guide service name. He’ll run around with you on your own boat and show you obstructions/spots to fish/ access areas to certain coves etc.. and probably even catch some fish. It’s well worth the charter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks, Ibtsoom. Sounds like maybe I should trailer it down to Sea Isle -- I assume I can pay to put in there -- and cross over to the intracoastal from there. Safe enough, you think?

Comment

You don't have to trailer to Sea Isle (plus there's not a public launch there anymore).

Just go out of the JB channel and stay to the east of the channel once you get to the end. It's pretty much open bay from the channel to the Deer Islands/Confederate Reef. Or you can run across the bay from the end of the channel to Greens Cut and get in the ICW. Greens Cut is on pretty much every map and it's just Northeast-ish from JB (more of a north heading). There's a marker for the middle of Greens Cut so just stay close to it and you'll be fine.

Or hire Pimp...he'll show you around and lay down some safe tracks on your GPS.

Good luck!

-FP

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater sportshound View Post
          Thanks, Ibtsoom. Sounds like maybe I should trailer it down to Sea Isle -- I assume I can pay to put in there -- and cross over to the intracoastal from there. Safe enough, you think?
          I think you have to be a resident to put in there. Trailer the other way and put in at the causeway. Or just ease across the bay from where you are and go through greens cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Perfect. Thanks for the steer, guys, I'll follow all of it. It'll be Greens Cut to the intracoastal, and Mr. Francis if you're reading, I'll be looking you up in a while.

Thanks again, guys. Fair winds and feeding fish!
            ss

Comment

If you're a masochist, you can put in at SLP and learn that area. Seriously, I do recommend it, but do your break-in first. ICW is a great idea for that.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Not a masochist, but I'd like to check out that Christmas Bay area, for sure. My Dad took us there a few times when I was a kid and I loved it. Rattlesnake Point, the houses out in the bay on the spoil banks. We came down the old intracoastal from our place in San Luis Beach Subdivision, this side of Surfside. Our place is long gone, but those were great trips!
                Thank you sir!

Comment

There are some nice looking, newly asphalted parking spots where that Bote ramp in sea isle used to be tho.
                  And no more bounces where the UST were either.

Comment

Working...
                  X