Split Pea Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split Pea Soup

I done outdid myself on this one. They had ham hocks on sale at Kroger, so I couldn't help it. 1lb dried split peas, ham hock, salt pork, secret herbs, water. Throw it all in a crock pot and let it go. I did have to let it cool and scrape off all the fat on top. Yeck. Been eating it all day yesterday and today. Tomorrow will be black eyed peas. Same recipe, but with some fresh jalapeno added.

This is my first thing to cook in a crock pot. My Bada left hers to me when she passed away. What could be easier? Set it on low and cook all night long.
    Last edited by coachlaw; February 14, 2010, 05:17 PM.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

No boiled peanuts?
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Is Sandy sick ??its sunday the suns shining and he is not at the Cabin he never posts on the weekend
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

He's nursing a bum foot.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Ham hocks are the stuff, alreet. I learned an old trick from a cook to put some in the blender and that thickens the soup real good. This works for lentils and blackeyes and all kind of bean soups.

Step 1: take scalding hot soup and put in about a third ways up in the blender.

Step 2: turn off all fans and ignition sources

Step 3: turn the blender on screamin' high

Step 4: stand back, because that stuff is going to hit the ceiling

Step 5: put whatever is left back into the pot and use your dog as a hand-held vacuum cleaner

Step 6: Kilz (tm) in the spray can works great on popcorn ceilings, to hide the evidence

Enjoy! I also have a pretty good recipe for exploding calf fries if'n you want it. These suckers can go BLAMMO like you never seen...

Comment

That's pretty good Swells. Mmmmm lentils. That's next.

Yeah, my foot felt like it was 100% today, so I decided to do some yard work. When I went out there, the backyard was soupy. So I put on the boots that I suspect caused this ouchie and BAM. I'm back with an ouchie. I think I'll give these boots away.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Sorry about your foot, Coach. And if you let the soup COOL before using the blender, it works so much better. It's a pretty good trick. It'll be foamy at first but give it 5 minutes in the crock and then skim the top again. Mmmm.

Hey check out borracho beans made with pintos. It has some tomato in it too, interesting. Same idea as your bacon / salt pork / ham hock thang. If you don't have the ham hock bone, I don't think you get near as much taste, sir.
              sammie

Comment

I'll take the boots!

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                  I'll take the boots!
                  There is a very old joke in the Army about whether dinner was made some something real, or a pair of stankin' boots, brudder.

Comment

They're the short top gum boots I've been wearing. They're very handy and I love that I don't have to worry about them fitting my hulk calves. I thought about putting insoles in them. I might try that before I ship 'em off to you.

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                      They're the short top gum boots I've been wearing. They're very handy and I love that I don't have to worry about them fitting my hulk calves. I thought about putting insoles in them. I might try that before I ship 'em off to you.
                      Let me know.

Comment

ummmmmmmsplitpeasoup
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Ummmm. There appears to be a lot of dietary fiber in peas.

Comment

Working...
                          X