Random Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Stuff

I'll start off by saying #2K!!!. Thanks for the great site Coe.

I will leave the count here for a while just to let it sink in for effect

So this isn't just a "benchmark post, look at me" thread, I'll put some content in it...

Rebuilding effort on the W. Seawall is going strong. I even saw some of the pink granite trucks going down 71 just E. of Austin!

Took advantage of the blown-out bay not too long ago to get me some oysters. Managed to continue my no-skunk streak on oyster trips, haha.

Not very gear intensive...

Found a hibernating stoner in the reef.

The catch! About 3 dozen, which is pretty much as many as I care to shuck in one sitting.

I am very selective, and got a few "trophy oysters"

All done and ready for frying and oysters rockefeller. I shuck them on the spot. It is messy and takes too much space to bring the shells back. They are far better returned to the reef, to provide structure and so the baby oysters on the shells can survive.

Took advantage of the calm beachfront to see if the "spring running" has happened, and it is starting to wind up! Beginning to get the crustacean-eater fish back in numbers.

Plankton bloom is in full effect, there were millions of grape-sized jellyfish in the surf taking advantage of it. Not long before the bait returns, followed by the trout.

Decent convict stringer. As you can see, I am a true "purist", an "artis-only plugger".

Well wouldn't you know it stayed down the next day too, and since the surf is a fickle lady, I had to get some more while the getting was there.

Hung into a nice redfish. Got him in, and looks like he broke another angler's heart. Not this time buddy... 20lb fluoro and braid is not your friend. This is the second fish I've ever caught with a hook in it, and the first on rod and reel. Makes a good case for non-stainless hooks (the other was a large AJ with a stainless snapper hook in it). Yes I know, I was slow on the draw... he was kept anyways. Those of you who have never looked into a red's mouth, those are crusher pads... keep fingers away.

Dead-shrimp slam.

Surf got rough quick with that E. wind picking up, so I went back to the good 'ol bay for some more fishing.

Nice redfish. Also got a keeper-sized speck.

Must have been hungry. I wonder how they even get it into their mouths...

I was already plenty good on fresh fish, so none of these guys got to go for a truck ride.

Very neat 2,000 occasion post with excellent story and pictures !! What a fun day !! I've seen guys while I was fishing pull up around the West Bay spoils and Bastrop and hammer away at oysters ( I LOVE them ) and wondered if only certain areas were safe to harvest or not. Can you provide a brief instructional on doing your own oyster harvesting ? Convict fish are tasty but poke back with those fins !! Congratulations on the best 2,000 th post .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great post and pics as usual Yan! Nice little drum stringer..
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

i was present for about 30 percent of these photos. yans post is about all the fishing report anyone will ever get from our money trips.

Comment

Nice work MJ, good read.

The hibernating stoner comment made me chuckle.
          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
            Nice work MJ, good read.

The hibernating stoner comment made me chuckle.

your location is hilarious.

Comment

also yan you are missing the pompano from the dead shrimp slam, this is what a real one looks like

Comment

Yan has pics on his post?? I can only see the ones on Kylie's post...

Comment

ya he has like 15 pics. weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Kylie Howard View Post
                    your location is hilarious.
                    Thank you...i'll be here all night.

Kylie...a true dead shrimp slam would have to include a hard head, gaftop, stingray, piggy perch, croaker, dogfish, whiting, baby blacktip shark, and a sand trout.
                    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
                      Thank you...i'll be here all night.

Kylie...a true dead shrimp slam would have to include a hard head, gaftop, stingray, piggy perch, croaker, dogfish, whiting, baby blacktip shark, and a sand trout.

you always have crazy lists. you had like 40 names for spoonies. mexican paintjob. hilarious.

Comment

Great report. Something different. I liked it. I never have gone after any oysters..I'd like to do some of that one of these days.

Comment

mmmmm i want some oysters now
                          Boats and hoes.

Comment

Great 2000th post MJ.

I like cooning oysters too,......just haven't been that mad at them this year to go after them.
                            Last winter I gathered and shucked two buckets, then sliced my finger through my gloves cooning a few more.
                            Those got C&R to "fight" another day.

Comment

Congrats on the 2K! Great post and pics !
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X