Tuna Trip 2/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuna Trip 2/20

Went to Venice over the weekend to fish Saturday with Capt. Devlin of Reel Peace charters. Arrived at the marina around 4:00 when all he boats were coming in. Every boat pretty much killed 'em with 15-20 blackfin tuna and a wahoo every now and then. One of the wahoo was at least 100 pounds...very impressive fish. No yellowtails were caught as they were 150' deeper and the kings were all over the place so nothing could get down there without getting hit by a king. Needless to say we were pumped.

Next morning we arrived at the dock at 6:20. Capt Devlin told us that there was some nasty weather coming in with wave heights between 6-8'. We would not be able to run out as far where they were yesterday. That sucks but hey that's fishing right...

Temp was upper 40's to warm up to mid fifties on the water. Wind coming in around 10mph and increasing. Placed 4 lures in the water in four different colors running at various depths. Started trolling around 7:00.

7:30 right rod furthest out gets hit. Lucky for me I'm standing right there. Grabbed the rod and line started to spool away. Capt immediately said it was a wahoo. It felt huge as I was not making any ground. I have caught several bigguns including a blue marlin but this felt different to me. With wahoo I was told not to pump the rod and reel like I have always done, just simply hold the rod at an angle and never stop reeling. How long I fought the damb thing I don't know but was getting gassed and hoping I would see the leader sooner rather than later. Another couple minutes and he showed up, capt gaffed him, and he was in. Went about 40 pounds BUT what made this so tough was that he was foul hooked right in the mid section. No wonder it was so hard! Couldn't turn his head at all. I was so spent that n the picture you see, that was as high as I was gong to lift him!

Next we caught a smallish blackfin tuna and then Mark Sloan caught another one that went about 20 pounds. We were hit twice more with one of the fish we think being another wahoo but lost it as the guy who was up allowed some slack in the line.

Cold weather, increasing winds, all in all a tough day but we still had fun. Mark and I decided to rent a cabin down there this June for maybe a week and hit it hard.

First shot is Joe's tuna...will try and post the others but always seem to have difficulity!
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Sweet! Gotta love it when hauling in a fish completely wears you out!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Sounds like you guys had a great time!
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

yall look happy nice trip!
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Sounds like a good time, congrats!
          Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

awesome!!

Comment

Cool stuff, i got to do that some day.
              "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Sounds like fun glad yall had a good time.
                10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Good trip

Comment

sounds fun.congrats on the catch
                    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

I saw Mark Sunday-he said it was a great trip but fish slowed compared to earlier days, but nothing wrong with what yall got! Nice. Was hoping you all would bring home 200 lbs of tuna so I could nab a steak!! Glad yall had a great trip.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Very nice! Let's see that ono, they are one of the prettiest fish when fresh and lit up.

Comment

here's the wahoo

wahoo and Mark's tuna
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Those pictures are TINY! Send me the photos to Coe(at)fishwestend.com and I'll upload them for you.
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                            X