Soule's Talk at the Fishing Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soule's Talk at the Fishing Show

I thought he did a great job last night discussing the bay system and the migratory aspect of specs throughout the various seasons. He did say something about the current conditions that I found interesting. Not quoting him exactly but roughly if we fish all day long we might have a couple of bites in the morning but it will be nothing like what we will experience in the afternoons closer to sundown right now. Looks like I get to sleep in a bit... Also the pass area should start to heat up right about now. Another fact I thought was cool is that I figured with all the cold weather we have been having that the patterns would be different this year...ie a later later than normal. Will not be the case as the I think he said the weather is not the primary indicator but the hours of sunlight / night that produces the spawn. He has started to see some jellies in the surf so it has begun.

Anyway, had a great time last night, finally get to be on the water this weekend...hope to see some of yall out there...
    sigpic

Cool info. From hearing the reports the last couple of days, it does look like the best fishing is the afternoons.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham
      Surf has begun is music to my ears...cmon May!
      Down here on SPI the water is just starting to come back to normals for this time of year, after fooling with the 50s for most of the winter and and some 40s during the fish kill in January.

Right now the surf has jumped up from 58 to 63 degrees. That is because of the current from Mexico coming up on the SE wind. The bay, however, is lower at 61 degrees because of lack of sunlight, daytime temperatures in the low 60s, and overnight temps in the 50s. Usually the bay runs a few degrees hotter than the surf. Viva Mexico! But temperatures seem to be remarkably alike on the northern Texas coastlines - so much for that theory.

Try using a drop thermometer with a float on it, or a gauge. We all know that water tends to run with warmer and cooler pools in it. You can fish the edges of the warmer and cooler water and sometimes do quite well. Sometimes you'll see a distinct water color change, too.

Comment

Thanks for the cmpliments on the seminar. Here's clarification. The later bite comment really is mostly a West Bay spring pattern deal. You will notice that if you can fish that later half of the day for the next two months, the will be a notable increase in the baitfish activity and typically the trout bite during that period when the water is at it's highest temperatures.
        San Luis Pass will start showing more life, but you will notice that it is very hit or miss until the beginning of May.

Photo period or length of day versus night, has a lot to do with the movement of and spawning timing of animals more than water temperature. I think it's more of a temperature range where comfort exists, then a daily amount of light and dark that triggers many things. There is a correlation between the two, longer daylight period will bring warmer water, assuming that we are getting sunlight.

So, all of these factors, like any that you may attempt to track, will see annual variances. You will notice little things like the worm hatches, return of the little jelly blobs, very small baitfish, and shrimp will seem to occur at a seasonal time moreso than being purely temperaure driven.

I could be completely wrong, but these are observations from time on the water. I have watched that certain temperatures that seemed to be triggers, are either early or late some years, but the seasonal changes still seem to come about the same time.
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
          Thanks for the cmpliments on the seminar. Here's clarification. The later bite comment really is mostly a West Bay spring pattern deal. You will notice that if you can fish that later half of the day for the next two months, the will be a notable increase in the baitfish activity and typically the trout bite during that period when the water is at it's highest temperatures.
          San Luis Pass will start showing more life, but you will notice that it is very hit or miss until the beginning of May.

Photo period or length of day versus night, has a lot to do with the movement of and spawning timing of animals more than water temperature. I think it's more of a temperature range where comfort exists, then a daily amount of light and dark that triggers many things. There is a correlation between the two, longer daylight period will bring warmer water, assuming that we are getting sunlight.

So, all of these factors, like any that you may attempt to track, will see annual variances. You will notice little things like the worm hatches, return of the little jelly blobs, very small baitfish, and shrimp will seem to occur at a seasonal time moreso than being purely temperaure driven.

I could be completely wrong, but these are observations from time on the water. I have watched that certain temperatures that seemed to be triggers, are either early or late some years, but the seasonal changes still seem to come about the same time.

Thanks for sharing that very helpful information.

Comment

Working...
          X