Older folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older folk

Something to think about guys.I just read a post of an older freind of mine went over the side.He had a PFD on and was ok.When I was in my 30's I was in aboat that sank of eagle Point.Boat picked us up after about 20 minutes.I was real tired when they picked us up.I'm 56 now.If I go in the water without a pfd how long will I last now.Just something for you fols to think about.May be wise to wear one when underway.All you strong swimmers the bay is different than a pool.I know for a fact
    Last edited by fuzzy; March 30, 2010, 09:59 PM.

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
    Something to think about guys.I just read a post of an older freind of mine went over the side.He had a PFD on and was ok.When I was in my 30's I was in aboat that sank of eagle Point.Boat picked us up after about 20 minutes.I was real tired when they picked us up.I'm 56 now.If I go in the water without a pfd how long will I last now.Just something for you fols to think about.May be wise to wear one when underway.
    Man fuzzy thats a good post, I gotta get me one of them self activating ones like sneekypetes it can all go BAD quick...
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

I started to say Sneeky wears one,why not the rest of us.

Comment

Good Post! Applies to all of us -- not just older folks.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I've really started wearing my PFD a lot more lately just not worth it. I have the suspenders auto inflatable & a bass pro one I keep on boat. When off shore everyone wears one no matter what!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Don't seem worth it anyway.Just jump ina choppy bay sometime with a friend in the boat and see how fast you swim towards shore.I was in a boat 1/2 mile from Eagle point.The more I swam the farther I got from shore.Tides a tough.I hate PFDs.Would you rather wear a pfd or a coffin.Next time you see me i probably won't have one on.

Comment

I wear mine it's a HID made by mustang survival model #MD3184 with a sailor harness which auto inflates if I get knocked out and will float me face up. Also it can withstand driving rain and waves coming over the boat and will not inflate until the controller is submersed under 4 inches of water
              here is the link
              get the best and only cry once instead of crying everytime you use it.

Comment

Here's the MD3184 link

Comment

I'm gonna get a Mae West, an inflatable one. Takes forever to blow it up but she looks like the real thing, 'bout 5 foot 5 inches tall.

(That's what they used to call life jackets in WWII, fellas.)

Comment

I used to use JT's til she sprang a leak.

Really, thanks for the reminder Fuzzy-very true-heck last year I fell overboard in my canal (was 2:30 a.m. and beer was heavily involved after poker game), it was tough getting back in Das Boot even in the canal.

On the self-inflating PFDs-my brother's went off from rainstorm-how do ya keep them from inflating when raining (that's why I haven't bought one of those)?
                    Thanks!
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You're preaching to the choir with me , FUZZY. I have my autoinflate on when in the boat.......I swim like a rock anyway even when I was in shape.
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Jerry they are designed for spray the device that makes the air escape and PFD inflate is triggered by a device that must be fully submerged below the water something to do with pressure etc.
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                          I used to use JT's til she sprang a leak.

Really, thanks for the reminder Fuzzy-very true-heck last year I fell overboard in my canal (was 2:30 a.m. and beer was heavily involved after poker game), it was tough getting back in Das Boot even in the canal.

On the self-inflating PFDs-my brother's went off from rainstorm-how do ya keep them from inflating when raining (that's why I haven't bought one of those)?
                          Thanks!

Here is the one I bought it will not inflate in a rainstorm or if a wave comes over the boat....Some of the cheaper ones are not rain proof....thats why I said spend the money on the Mustang Survival brand...best in the business.It has to be sumerged at least 4 inches to discharge so rain spray will not discharge it.I've sprayed mine with a pressure washer cleaning the boat and it never went off.

Comment

If you look around, there are some real nice PFD lifejackets that are designer style and are popular with the offshore crowd such as yachties and feeshermen. These are vest style and the fisherman's version has lots of pockets. A good one costs 50 to about 100 bucks.

Be sure to get a reputable brand that is certified to USCG approved Type I (best) or Type II. The cool ones I see on the market are NOT gas-powered but have flotation stuff in them - but the new styles aren't bulk and don't make you look like a blimp or a wimp. It is a good suggestion to buy or borrow a nice one, put it on, and walk into the deep end of a swimming pool to try it out. If you sink like a rock, get your money back!

Academy should have some ... these look like jet-ski PFD and fisherman's model has a clip for the kill switch too. They feel good when it is cool or rainy outside, too. Talk to the yak folks too, since nearly all wear PFD of some kind.

p.s., you don't really want a gas-powered one. That was an old trick where we'd "blow somebody up" as a prank. Poof-bang, you're big as Santa Claus, LOL.

-sammie

Comment

Thanks yall. My brothers had a baking soda tab-it was raining like cats and dogs when it inflated-I think it was from BPS???

Swells-I already have a gut and 1/2, so a Mae West vest would make me look like the Michelin Man instead of Mae West!! Thanks for the "tip" about someone inflating a gas powered vest-I'll watch for that.

The cheap vests in my bay boat (you know the one with "4 in the bag") and when USCG/GW inspects ya, the zipper is so corroded ya can't open the carry bag-that kind of makes them PO'd!!

Don't forget the throw cushion-per USCG, they told me it had to be "handy" at all times.
                              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X