Spinning vs Baitcasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like PowerPro braid.

Spinners are great for throwing very lightweight lures or terminal tackle.
    They're excellent when free shrimping.
    They're also great for throwing a cork rig.
    They're also very good for throwing into the wind.
    Don't be fooled. A good quality spinning reel will serve you well.

Line twist is an issue with them.
    1.) Put new line on the reel correctly. There is a proper way to spool up a spinner.
    2.) Don't fill the spool all the way. Leave about a 1/8 lip.
    3.) When the line does get twisted, either spool it out behind a moving boat or walk it out and drop it in the water, then reel it back in. This should allow the line to untwist as it is wound back on the reel.
    4.)When you are using a spinning reel and you hear the zzzzzzzz of the spool(like when the drag is pulled) STOP reeling. For instance if you're hung on a snag.
    Don't just sit there and crank the reel with the spool turning. This twists up the line really bad. Stop and get the line unsnagged then reel in. Same thing applies if a fish is ripping out drag. Let the run stop or tighten the drag before reeling.
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

I use both as well. I have one for the wife and it has braid and that keeps the twist out of the picture. I have two offshore spinning rods with braid and both stood up to butterfly fishing for tuna and playing with yellow fin with a topwater plug. Braid is key for spinning rods.

Accuracy for me is greater with a spinning rod. But if you want to play with some of the big girls in the bay wading using topwaters and slow sinkers your best bet is a baitcaster. My calcutta(baitcaster) is also spooled with braid and a 3 ft leader of florocarbon. Trust me if you use your spincast with a topwater your going to wrap your line around the top eye of the rod.

Your not a wimp or anything like that if you use an eggbeater! Your out fishing, Right!

If your into using live shrimp under a cork I recomend a 7-8 foot rod with a spincaster. You can sling the heck out of a cork! Live bait on the bottom a baitcaster. tops and slow sinkers, baitcaster. Plastics both just watch the twist and wraps around the end of your rod tip.

20$ shimano 4000 eggbeater
      15$ powerpro 50lb braid
      20$ cheap tuna spin cast rod
      The amount of tuna and snapper the past few years sure beats the man that spends 2-500$ on a baitcaster, !

Just my two cents

Comment

I too use both depending on circumstances and what I am trying to do.

I can get a little more distance with the spinning, I usually throw it into the wind and use it with plastics and light jig heads or no jigs.

I am more accurate with a bait caster-throwing at spots, shore lines or moving fish. I usually throw them downwind and with heavier lures.

I also occasionally enjoy the "zen" moments when I have to focus, to the exclusion of all other stimuli, to deconstruct a backlash.

Comment

I am with my fellow fwe'rs
          I use power pro! Backed with some mono
          to prevent the braid from spinning around the spool!!
          The sensitivity and no stretch hook set are waaaay cool
          Captain Glenn Stevens
          Coastal Guide Service
          www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Guys that fish with spinning rigs wear pink panties. The real pretty kind with ribbons and lace and a little monogramed kitty cat on the front.
            Just kidding about all of the frilly stuff on your pink panties!
            Happytown Pluggers.

Comment

Originally posted by wetluers View Post
              Guys that fish with spinning rigs wear pink panties. The real pretty kind with ribbons and lace and a little monogramed kitty cat on the front.
              Just kidding about all of the frilly stuff on your pink panties!

LOL oh you're wrong for that.

I've always been more accurate with a spinning rod compared to baitcast. Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks guys.

Comment

Hey whatever puts the bait where it needs to be to get that big girl I don't care if its a tall boy beer can with string wrapped around it!!
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                  Hey whatever puts the bait where it needs to be to get that big girl I don't care if its a tall boy beer can with string wrapped around it!!

lmao I've seen that a few times while fishing off the Flagship. Hell I've seen more then I'd ever want to see on the TCD. Amazing what some people will do in public.

Comment

I landed my biggest red snapper on a hand line when i work off shore,i never could catch any snappers around here!LOL
                    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by screamindrag View Post
                      Am I less of a man because I prefer spinning reels over baitcasting? Anyone else care to admit this?
                      YES
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Just kidding..... I like the advantages of a baitcaster and besides...by God.....it's what TEXANS have always used !! You'll have Rudy Griger spinning in his grave !
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                          Gilbert? Is that you?
                          Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Originally posted by Primer View Post
                            Gilbert? Is that you?
                            Clado
                            MANVEL MOB

Comment

I use a spinning reel when the wind is really kicking. If its calm to slightly breezy I'm using a bait caster. If its really wind I'm using a cane pole and sitting on the dock with a beer... If it's dead calm you won't see a spinning, bait caster in my hands... Just a fly rod!
                              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Eggbeaters here. I lived my early fishing years in South Florida. I do throw a baitcaster from time to time. If you have accuracy problems with a spinner, you didn't fish with it enough (or give it a chance). Same result with me on tossin' baitcasters with light jigs into the wind. I got tired of pluckin' out bird nests, and not catchin' fish. You can't always fish downwind.
                                Who needs a carnival freak show when we have the Galveston Wal-Mart?

Comment

Working...
                                X