GFI and Power Loss to Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI and Power Loss to Freezer

Well, it happened to me... again. Had a storm come through and the GFI got tripped and lost power to our outside freezer. Didn't discover if for a few days and lost half of my fish from Alaska (about 50 lbs of Salmon, Halibut, and Rockfish). Hopefully not going to happen again.

I found and bought an alarm for $12 that plugs into the outlet and makes and audible alarm when the power is lost. There are more expensive alarms out there that will send text and email messages, but I went the the cheaper alternative. From what I read, takes a 9V battery and is loud as hell. Should have it today to install and try it out.

Just thought everyone might want to know that these products are out there and they can keep you from losing your stuff in the freezer.

UPDATE: Bought a 9V battery and tried the the gadget out. DAMN! It's loud. Works as advertised.
    Last edited by Bayou Uber; September 29, 2021, 01:54 PM.

Man, that really sucks. I replaced all my GFI outlets because this happened to me. None of them were close enough to a water source to have to be coded anyway. Don't know why they were there. To lose halibut and rockfish is a tragedy though. Really sorry that happened bro.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I have a freezer full of stuff as well. Mine is in the garage so I'll go cheap option as well.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I've got a freezer outside as well.. I need to get one of these things for sure. I came back from London a few years back to a rotten freezer.. lost 2 or 3 deer and all associated sausage.. all my fish and shrimp.. huge nasty mess.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

That sucks. My buddy Keith had that happen to his garage freezer as well. Lost an entire deep freezer full of venison, trout & redfish.

Comment

Here is a link to the alarm that I bought:

Amazon.com : QWORK Power Failure Alarm, Automatic Power Cut Failure Outage Alarm 120db LED Indicator Smart Warning Siren Power by 9V Battery (NOT Included), Plug 220V : Electronics

Comment

There is nothing like the smell of meat that has thawed to room temperature or higher in a freezer and the smell of ANY type of seafood will knock you down.

ive been thru that a number of times up at the ranch and you smell it before you open the door. It’s bad enough when an empty freezer goes out.

that’s great info on the alarm, thanks.

Comment

I went through the rotten meat/seafood thing after Katrina at my parent's house. I actually threw up IN the chest freezer as I was cleaning it out. The vomit made it smell better. No alarm could have helped that though.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

You can also pull the drain plug and put a small block of ice by the drain hole. It will start leaving a trail of water typically before you loose all the meat in the freezer. Has been working for me since i had the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X